Sign in to follow this  

35 pounds lighter than stock YZ250

They didn't use the 4-stroke swingarm? They could have saved a chunk of weight there...

Great effort. Cool to see "Sponsered by Yamaha Racing" at the beginning of the video!

They didn't use the 4-stroke swingarm? They could have saved a chunk of weight there...

Great effort. Cool to see "Sponsered by Yamaha Racing" at the beginning of the video!

seems they didnt want to say much about suspension.

Edited by yz250474

It fits?

That's a good chunk of change.  I wonder how much those 35lbs would cost though?  carbon fiber and Ti are certainly not cheap.   I also wonder if they shaved some stuff here and there or just used less material to save weight in a trade off for longevity and durability because it is not like this bike needs to run for long periods of time.

pretty cool though to cut that much weight on a bike that is already slim

• Like 2

It fits?

The 2009 4-stroke swingarm fits the YZ250 2-stroke and weighs a bit less. Combined with the rear wheel & brake (the whole assembly uses a larger diameter axle), weight loss is close to 3 lbs.

Some people used a 250F swingarm (said to be a tad shorter), and some have used 2010 (and later?) components, but yeah, the 4-stroke swingarm fits and makes a noticeable difference to the bike.

There were quite a few threads about it, but the only one I found was this...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/890081-so-has-anyone-done-the-4t-swingarm-conversion-yet/page-2?hl=%2Bswingarm+%2Bswap#entry9454888

The 2009 4-stroke swingarm fits the YZ250 2-stroke and weighs a bit less. Combined with the rear wheel & brake (the whole assembly uses a larger diameter axle), weight loss is close to 3 lbs.

Some people used a 250F swingarm (said to be a tad shorter), and some have used 2010 (and later?) components, but yeah, the 4-stroke swingarm fits and makes a noticeable difference to the bike.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/890081-so-has-anyone-done-the-4t-swingarm-conversion-yet/page-2?hl=%2Bswingarm+%2Bswap#entry9454888

Yep, I did the swap on my '08 yz250 build. You'll need the swingarm, linkage, hub, rear brake caliper, axle, and axle blocks. I used all new 2015 yz450f parts, but you could do it much cheaper by finding used parts on ebay. I haven't finished the build yet, so I can't speak to how much of a difference it really makes. It sure does look good though.

I'm a big weight weenie so this interests me.  THANKS for the link!

• Like 1

had the swingarm on my 12 didnt make any difference at all but it did look cool, well to me it looked cool no one would really notice it

100_4060_zps0de9a7a5.jpg

• Like 2

I would like to try that drilled out inner hub.. could I do that with the stock hub? ( needs replaced anyway) think it would be reliable? I'm only 140lbs seems a lightened clutch would be fine.  I was also thinking it seems someone as light as me would need less clutch disk. What do you guys think?

has someone done it?

I swear I was thinking that the clutch was way to heavy the other day while I was reading a flywheel weight thread, then I see this.. got me thinking to much. Haha

Everyone seems to want to tame the hit, but I love it. Reminds me I'm riding a 2 stroke..... Hell I want more of a hit!!!!

My yz need's at least  the whole top end rebuilt, so I''m going to rebuild the whole thing.. I would like to add a little customization while it's apart. 

Edited by yz250474

I just don't see a 35lb. weight savings, even with all of that carbon fiber, titanium, lightening holes, etc.

I'm wondering if there counting the fuel loss, seeing as how they don't need much fuel for Freestyle?

• Like 1