Sign in to follow this  

Xr650l carb issue

My wife came home to a puddle of gas under my bike. I've only started it once since my last trip to the mtns in February. Bike fired up on the second kick but stalled out when the bowl ran dry. Let it sit for a few mins and I started leaking again out the tube on the bottom of the carb. Started right back up until the carb ran dry again. I did spray carb cleaner through the breather tube which helped some. Didn't have time to take it apart. Anybody know where to exactly look or should I take the whole carb apart until I find my blockage

It is odd that it is both overflowing and starving.  It could just be some junk in the needle/seat or you may have a fuel line, petcock, or tank venting issue...or both.  That's a pretty long time to sit.  Fuel can degrade and cause blockages in that amount of time.

I'd pull the fuel line off the carb inlet first and let it flow into a container to make sure all is well with the petcock and tank.  If it is a tank vent problem it may take a little bit to show up and stop the fuel flow.  

Once you verify that is good then I'd say open the bowl drain and spray some carb cleaner into the fuel inlet and flush it out.  Do this a few times.  

Once you've done that give it a shot.  You may get lucky and clear out any junk.  If not, then you're looking at pulling the carb and giving a good once over.

My wife came home to a puddle of gas under my bike. I've only started it once since my last trip to the mtns in February. Bike fired up on the second kick but stalled out when the bowl ran dry. Let it sit for a few mins and I started leaking again out the tube on the bottom of the carb. Started right back up until the carb ran dry again. I did spray carb cleaner through the breather tube which helped some. Didn't have time to take it apart. Anybody know where to exactly look or should I take the whole carb apart until I find my blockage

Xr650l and your kicking it?? Did you do the after market mod or did you mean xr650r?

Just curious

It's unclear what you're doing with the petcock.  Is that leaking when it is set to off?

Clearly you need to get the float needle to start seating properly.  That could require just running a few tanks of fuel through the bike (that has worked for me on mine) or you might need to replace it.

You should be in the habit of turning the fuel off when the bike is off.  I remember a Yamaha DT-175 that I owned years ago that got some dirt in between the float needle and the seat and it filled up the crankcase with fuel when it leaked.  I had to take the whole engine apart to replace gaskets.

Get in the habit of turning the fuel off whenever the bike isn't running and you won't find a puddle of gas under it again.

Yes it's a L but it's a mix between a 600 and 650l. Petcock was left on. I know it's my bad. It was only a matter of time. I'll play with it next week. I normally only ride it in the winter. I have water toys for the summer.

I removed the fuel line from the carb, opened to drain screw for the bowl and blew air through the fuel inlet til air was coming out the drain line. Easy fix. Pet cock is off.