thoughts on spark plug heat range

i live in a hot humid climate and most of my riding is done and three quarters to full throttle, is there any improvement or advantage of running a cooler plug in my drz400sm

i used to own a yz426 and most of my riding was very tight and technical trails in a cool environment,i ran a hotter plug and noticed starting became much easier and less fouling of the plug so got me thinking

is there any improvement or advantage of running a cooler plug in my drz400sm------Yes, if the current plug is being overheated.  How can you possibly run a DRZ400 at 3/4 to full throttle most of the time?

i road race with my friends on a mountain range here in thailand, the return journey is about 240klms at which 90 percent is done at about 3/4 throttle and above,of course there will be some corners that don't fall into that rev range but most do,there is no police along that mountain range so its just ride as fast as you like. now that you mention it PTGARCIA i pulled the original plug out at 18,000klms and there didn't seem to be much wrong with it so maybe i just answered my own question. lol

Seriously. Cheap insurance if you can't remember when it was ever changed and the bike is already apart. A standard NGK CR8E plug is like $4, or spend a lil more for the iridium (cr8eix) which will last a lot longer.

Just remember to unscrew and remove the terminal nut befor putting it in the bike if the new plug has one screwed on already.

Spark plug gap .7 - .8 mm (.028 - .031 in)

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651