Sign in to follow this  

Best exhaust overall- need opinions

Hey guys, this would be my first post, new to the forum.

I've got a 2009 Honda crf450r and I'm lookin for exhaust for my bike, I am pretty focused on the Yoshi rs4 for the sound and performance, I've heard nothing but good things. I just would like to hear others opinions. If anyone has a system for sale comment below. I just don't want to spend $600 from ebay to get a Yoshi system shipped to my door. Any input would be nice.

I have a 2010 and the yoshi rs4 really helped move the power up in the rev range. The flat top end is gone. Any pipe is gonna need a remap for the best results.

I have a NIB Pro Circuit SS setup for the 09 CRF450. I actually think its a GP4....I think. Take $475 if your interested! PM me if you want to chat about it.

Running a Yosh Ti/Ti RS4 on a 10 model along with a remap to work with that particular exhaust system.  Made a noticeable difference in every part of the rpm range especially up top where it went flat with the oem exhaust & map.  Don't know if it's the best exhaust, but as a vet int. mx rider the motor has plenty of power in every part of the rpm range with the RS4.  I would definitely recommend this pipe.

Below is a link to a 2009 CRF450r pipe shoot out(10 model is similar) thru an mx mag.  You can pick a pipe that would suit your needs & type of riding.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjM17jOpKnJAhUVzWMKHT8zCroQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocrossactionmag.com%2Fbike-tests%2Fhonda-tests%2Fwe-test-2009-honda-crf450-exhaust-systems-dr-d-pro-circuit-fmf-yoshimura-vance-hines-and-stock-get-the-dyno-sound-and-powerband-treatment&usg=AFQjCNEoq-Os2S0mWGyb9UzayNYnx0-2gA

Edited by H4L

Jemco is cheap and makes most power by far but is loud as hell! It's not pretty but it blows all these fmf and yosh gold plated crap away in power.

I don't care for the bulbous mass of the megabomb....it does perform well though. Loud and me don't mix well, I have my stock muffler on now until I can figure out how to get the powercore to not be so damn loud. I actually just feel oem is best, these aren't 2 strokes so its a very minimal gain with an aftermarket unit, unless you go for a megaphone which wouldn't work in mx very well....just in the way.
  • Like 1

Jemco is cheap and makes most power by far but is loud as hell! It's not pretty but it blows all these fmf and yosh gold plated crap away in power.

There is a reason why Team Honda has been using the Yoshimura exhaust on their bikes at the pro level since 09.   In my experience they work much better than the oem stock unit on the 09-10 models with a stock motor. I did get to ride an 11 model a few yrs. back with a full yosh engine package that was putting out about 62+ hp that was impressive & is the fastest 450 I've ridden to date.

Edited by H4L

They are paid to have the yoshi on there. A guy on here has gotten almost 70hp with a jemco and other mods on a 2009 crf450r

He switched to a custom dual megaphone and is now getting over 70hp. Ask Ron hamp and he will likely say the yosh and fmf are huge wastes of money compared to a $300 exuast that gives twice the hp. It's so loud it will get you kicked out of a track if your not careful though.

Edited by Crf450r r r
  • Like 1

They are paid to have the yoshi on there. A guy on here has gotten almost 70hp with a jemco and other mods on a 2009 crf450r

He switched to a custom dual megaphone and is now getting over 70hp. Ask Ron hamp and he will likely say the yosh and fmf are huge wastes of money compared to a $300 exuast that gives twice the hp. It's so loud it will get you kicked out of a track if your not careful though.

True, but they wouldn't be running them if the team didn't think they helped the motor breath better especially with a Honda works engine.   As far as the Jemco goes it's not practical for an mx application motor.  

Ask ron what pipe for mx it sure isnt a jemco down pipe.

A Jemco down pipe wouldn't last long on a sx/mx or woods/trails application, it would get destroyed very easily.  If your building a flat track or max power motor like a member did with the 70hp stock bore 450 than the Jemco would be a better choice...  

As far as the 07-08 (05-08 same design) motors go the difference isn't as noticeable going from the oem exhaust to an aftermarket.  I tried a PC pipe on an 06 motor & felt slight gains up top, but not as noticeable as it is with the 09-12 motors.   The 09-12 motors are a different design & an aftermarket exhaust will help the motor breath better vs. the choked up oem exhaust...    

Edited by H4L

A Jemco down pipe wouldn't last long on a sx/mx or woods/trails application, it would get destroyed very easily.  If your building a flat track or max power motor like a member did with the 70hp stock bore 450 than the Jemco would be a better choice...  

As far as the 07-08 (05-08 same design) motors go the difference isn't as noticeable going from the oem exhaust to an aftermarket.  I tried a PC pipe on an 06 motor & felt slight gains up top, but not as noticeable as it is with the 09-12 motors.   The 09-12 motors are a different design & an aftermarket exhaust will help the motor breath better vs. the choked up oem exhaust...

Jemco up pipe

Jemco up pipe

Didn't know Jemco made an up pipe for the CRF450r.  It's still not practical for mx or woods use as it will be a lot louder than the common aftermarket pipes sold.

If you decide to run one for woods riding on your 09 (based on your posts) let us know how it works out for you...  

I don't have a jemco but I heard the muffler opening is massive, you may want to make sure a db dawg will fit before you make that decision.

However I know they use a supertrapp on the jemco.

• Like 1