Sign in to follow this  

crf250r idle

Ok so I have another question about my crf250r. When I start it I turn the gas on. Wait about 30 seconds then turn the choke on, get the piston at TDC and kick . It starts after a few kicks and idles high with the choke on it seems pretty high, but when i turn the choke off it idles low and dies. If the bike is warm it idles fine with no choke, but I was just wondering if it's normal to have a somewhat high idle with the choke on or if it's a jetting issue. Thanks.

How long you leave the choke on and how long the bike takes to warm up will (obviously) vary with ambient temperature.  I'm assuming it's pretty chilly in Washington, so you'll want to let it warm up (with choke on) a little longer.  You'll just have to get a feel for it.  I believe the manual says no longer than 3 minutes with the choke on.  I may be mistaken.  You don't want to let it idle for too long or you'll overheat.

Edited by mossman77

How long you leave the choke on and how long the bike takes to warm up will (obviously) vary with ambient temperature. I'm assuming it's pretty chilly in Washington, so you'll want to let it warm up (with choke on) a little longer. You'll just have to get a feel for it. I believe the manual says no longer than 3 minutes with the choke on. I may be mistaken. You don't want to let it idle for too long or you'll overheat.

yeah it's pretty cold here so I let it warm up for about 3-5 minutes. Thanks