Sign in to follow this  

What forks do you recommend?

I recently got a free felt q620 hardtail. It's a pretty nice bike (especially for the price I got it for haha) but the rockshox dart 1 forks suck. What forks would you guys recommend?

I've never found a good way to get a great inexpensive mtb fork.  Not sure how much you paid, but I assume a good set of forks would cost more than the entire bicycle?

I've always found it was better financially to sell the bike and buy one with the better fork already on it, and that better bike probably comes with better everything (brakes, shifters, derailleurs, etc). 

I've never found a good way to get a great inexpensive mtb fork. Not sure how much you paid, but I assume a good set of forks would cost more than the entire bicycle?

I've always found it was better financially to sell the bike and buy one with the better fork already on it, and that better bike probably comes with better everything (brakes, shifters, derailleurs, etc).

bike was free. Brakes, shifter and derailleurs are all pretty good. The bike is a great bike for what they sell for new (around 700$) I don't plan on selling it. The bike fits me well but just could use some nicer forks.

I buy stuff from jensonusa.com , not sure where you are in CA but they are in socal.  They have great prices, but still you might be looking at $350 to get a good fork, $600 to get a great one.  :)

I buy stuff from jensonusa.com , not sure where you are in CA but they are in socal. They have great prices, but still you might be looking at $350 to get a good fork, $600 to get a great one. :)

I'm in socal. 350$ is fine just for looking on what people recommend

Hit the used market imo, should be able to pickup a nice 100mm fork for pretty cheap

Look into fox, marzocchi (older is actually better here imo) I'd stay away from Manitou never had good luck with their stuff

Make sure you get the right steerer tube if sourcing a different fork. Guessing it will be 1&1/8 rather than taper stem.

• Like 2

Rock Shox Reba or Revelation will kill in that travel range. As others stated, make sure the steerers are the same.

I have a rockshox pike on my transition and its pretty amazing. After having it it would be hard to talk me into anything else.

If you can afford a Pike then get one. It's a great fork!

i have been using FOX forks for 10 years now, great forks,  some friends use rock shox they seem to like them too

Edited by Jtkkz

I'd hit up pink bike and see what you can find locally.

Being a hard tail it really depends on what you want. An XC bike, I'd want a lighter fork. If you are making it into an all mountain 50/50 type I think a pike or a Rox 34 will work just fine. But you should be able to find a Fox Evo (basic air fork) for around 200 bucks. My Highball has a basic Rockshox recon on it and it works just fine for what it is. On my Trance I bought a new Fox 36 160.

So really depends on what you want to do.

A good all around fork you can usually find around 200-300 is the rock shox psylo if you can find the version with the 20mm axle.

On my freeride hard tale I ride a marzocchi super T pro and on my xc I run a fox rl80 with remote lockout. Both are older by today's standards, but still not budget forks yet.