Looking at a 2001 YZ250

At that price I would expect every single part on the bike needs attention. Even an 01 in good rideable shape should bring 15-1800 on craigs list.

If the bike has been cared for by an ama district member that races occasionally it might be in decent shape. But if it's owned by a mid 20s play rider it will likely need lots of tlc.

Js. There's lots of junk out there. And it's all fixable for a price. 2001 is great bike. I have 2002 (2 of them).

• Like 2

Likely the seller will say: "It has just 2 hours on a new top-end, barely broken-in, but don't have time to ride it anymore"

but in reality the top-end was rebuilt last year, already has a full season of riding, but only remembers he rode it twice this season.

Don't let yourself be impressed with new plastic, flashy graphics or bling parts.

Worn sprockets, chain, notchy clutch basket, loose swingarm bearings, leaky fork seals,

brake pads, missing spokes/bent rim etc. are all easy items to check that indicate wear/neglect.

There are some extremely well maintained older bikes out there, take your time to find one.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Top end is nothing compared to everything else that can add up to a ton of cash. But like I said it's all fixable. If it's a total roach and you could get it for 7-800 you would be ok by the time you got it to good riding condition. Everything is fixable on these bikes. And they are great bikes, reliable bikes, good performers...once they're all fixed up.

• Like 3

Heading out tomorrow to look at an 01 YZ250 and wondered what things I should be looking for on this model. Any red flags I should look out for? Seller has it listed at 1200 and says it is in great condition. 

I rode one for years, The day you get it take it to bare frame and re grease or replace every bearing in it.

If you use a local bearing house it's not even expensive.  I willing to bet the shock needs a oil change and

the forks too.  Forks suck some what but I had DaveJ do mine and they worked well, better then my Beta.

01 had a white air box BTW

That is the best dirtbike motor ever, it's the least of your worries. 

• Like 4

At that price I would expect every single part on the bike needs attention. Even an 01 in good rideable shape should bring 15-1800 on craigs list.

If the bike has been cared for by an ama district member that races occasionally it might be in decent shape. But if it's owned by a mid 20s play rider it will likely need lots of tlc.

Js. There's lots of junk out there. And it's all fixable for a price. 2001 is great bike. I have 2002 (2 of them).

I disagree. I feel like for that price it should be in very good shape. Its a 14 year old bike that didn't sell for much brand new.

Just got back from checking it out and bought it on the spot. It is a 2001 according to the title, I have no reason to not believe that. It needs a few things. I have to replace fork seals/oil, put on a new chain and sprockets and replace a couple pieces of body work. The guy was in his thirties and had a list of everything he had done. It started on the first kick and rode nicely, although the shift into second is a little stiff. Other than that, it just needs a really good cleaning. He included a side stand, fresh rear tire, extra handlebars and the manual. The bike is ridden without being clapped out. I will ride it this season after doing those fixes and next season do a bigger tear down. Best part was not having to pay the asking price. He was prepared to move on the price.  The bike had gobs of power. It sort of surprised me. 

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

• Like 2

I disagree. I feel like for that price it should be in very good shape. Its a 14 year old bike that didn't sell for much brand new.

most sellers lie about the actual condition of bikes, or have no clue about bikes other than riding one.

you would be surprised how quickly things add up, a clutch basket, new plastics, wheel and steering bearings, tires.. and so on.

betting i have 3k plus the purchase price into my bike, the lesson i learned?  take more time looking at the bike.

Edited by Excitable

He must have replaced the air box with a '99. The subframe looks 2000+(aluminum).

Looks like an oversize tank.

Great bike! I love mine more every year. I've had it 10yrs so far.

Most of the plastic was replaced at some point. I am slowly peeling back the grime and it looks good so far. It has a steel frame.

• Like 1

He must have replaced the air box with a '99. The subframe looks 2000+(aluminum).

Yeah, noticed the airbox. It almost looks like it may have been painted -- some people just didn't like the white airbox.

But definitely an aluminum subfarme, so signs are good that it is an '01.

Chasbo, when changing the bodywork, do the bike a favor and get a 2006 & up front fender and number plate. Much crisper-looking than the 2000-2005 stuff, and it still matches the timeless style of the rear bodywork. There is a How-To in the FAQs for the number plate.

Also, check OEM Yamaha prices for plastic. For a while it was cheaper than aftermarket.

• Like 2