Sign in to follow this  

Need help diagnosing dual sport kit

Hey TT, this is my first time posting so I apologize if this goes in the wrong section. I need some help diagnosing an issue with my dual sport kit. I just bought a 2002 wr250f off of craigslist. Its in good shape, only needed minor maintenance type things, and came with a street legal title and an old Electrex Dakar kit on it. ( I believe they stopped making it? Cant seem to find any information online about it...) The seller had told me the battery was bad so it wouldn't work, I took his word on it and bought a new battery with the bike. It wound up working after I re-soldered a very loose fuse holder to the pcb.

Now another problem has come up - Like I said, everything was working perfectly after the battery install, and then it sat for 2 days in my garage, untouched. Next time I rolled it out and turned the key, no lights came on. I tried the blinkers - nothing. Horn - nothing. I started it and the lights came on as expected (They can run on their own with the stator, no battery) and I tried the blinkers again. This time, they blinked very slowly, like they weren't getting enough juice. I figured that the battery's power somehow wasn't getting to the rest of the components, and the whole kit was trying to work on just the stator output. I tore the whole kit down again, checked connections and everything seemed fine. I hooked the kit up off of the bike and still the lights would not work on battery power. 

a little something on the Dakar kit.  did you turn the key off?

I have the Dakar on my XR400R and if I dont turn the key off it kills the battery.