Sign in to follow this  

650L skips out of 2nd gear

Hey all, have a 2007 XR650L a few mods, big gun header, jetted, smog delete etc...15k miles, Under heavy load in 2nd gear it "skips" or momentarily jumps out of gear, then back in. All other gears fine. Trans finished? big$$$ to fix? or is DIY an option I'm pretty clever with tools. :ride:

usually a bent shift fork started the issue,,,,,,,,then as it doesn`t allow full engagement of the gear it causes the dogs on the gear to round off....you need to crack the engine open and replace both gears...ihe one with the dogs and the mating gear next to it...

but you may need more,,you have to open it up and see,,,,,and look closely at the shift forks..

basically you are into a full rebuild..

B

You will need the second and fifth gears for the countershaft along with the left gear shift fork. About $350.00 for all of the parts and gaskets. Also about six hours of wrenching time on the engine alone. If your not up to the task I am.

What mcma111 is eluding to is while you have the tranny apart is to do the fifth gear mod as well.  Check out my ytube video for explaination of the gear mods @2m44sec

Its quite involved to get at the transmission as it requires a complete breakdown of the engine.

Yah I had the same problem on a 2012 with 6500miles on it, had to replace 2nd gear on countershaft as well as a shifter fork. Took advantage and did a few optional replacements and replaced 5th gear with the nx650 5th, and then set myself up with an xr600 countershaft so if I ever decide to install a kickstart I can.

What mcma111 is eluding to is while you have the tranny apart is to do the fifth gear mod as well.  Check out my ytube video for explaination of the gear mods @2m44sec

Its quite involved to get at the transmission as it requires a complete breakdown of the engine.

No, I am not eluding to anything. If the transmission is jumping out of second gear it is because the posts on the fifth gear is slipping out of the windows on the second gear thus the need for both gears. Both parts get rounded out and when under load the gear will slip out of position and also damage the shift fork. This is quite common on bikes that see a lot of stop 'n go city usage.

I'm not sure what you mean mcma111 without looking at a parts fiche but anyways if the OP is taking the engine apart he should seriously think about doing the 2nd and 5th gear mods

On the gears there are pegs and windows as I call them. When shifted into second gear the fifth gear slides over and it's PEGS engage with the windows or holes in the second gear. The pegs edge and the hole sides get rounded out and no longer have sharp edges to them and when under load the fifth gear will disengage from the second gear thus slipping out of gear.

It's all here:

www.justxr.com/jaw/gearbox.html

I had an idea what you meant but with that link I see exactly what you mean now.  Just wanted to add that even if the "pegs" are found to be rounded It would be a good idea to change the particular fork used to shift into 2nd gear at the same time.  Its easy to change with the engine tore apart.

ps mcma111 sorry for mistaking your post. I assumed your were talking about the 2nd and 5th gear mod

Edited by D0T-C0M