Sign in to follow this  

Wheel air sealing (Epoxy)

Hi all, 

I have been trying very hard to turn my sm wheels for the DRZ to tubeless wheels, i got them from my dad who simply smothered the inside with silicone and anti puncture goop, i  have stripped all that away and used SealAll and AutoGoop to seal the nipples. and then Gorilla tape on top x3.

It lasted for about two weeks when two of the nipples started leaking air, i took the tire out, fixed them and put the tire back on and five more nipples started leaking  :banghead:   

Someone suggested using Epoxy Resin to seal the wheel.  Has anyone got any experience in using this process?

Thanks,

Mihai.

There was a guy on a supermoto junkie( still around?) That used silicone a few years ago. Had no immediate issues. There was a kit... can't remember.

Don't use expoxy, it is too rigid.

I recommend a urethane sealant because of it flexes is durable and sticks better to everything.

Available at Home Depot for about $10 a tube.

3M 5200 is also a urethane sealant avail in squeeze tubes.

Clean the parts with acetone and apply.  Wear latex glove when you apply the urethane because it is very difficult to remove from your skin.

Trials bikes run tubeless tires on the rear and use two different ways to seal the rim; DID makes a rim with a flange on the centerline for the spokes to hook onto, and one with a rubber liner that seals the spoke nipples.

An alternative would be the Nuetech Tubliss system, if they make them in your rim size.  

I lol'd at this at first, but then, after a second, just wondered......

Anybody want to try it?

Thanks guys, i think i will take the gorilla tape off put silicon on and tape up again