Sign in to follow this  

The YZ motor

I rode my buddy's yz years ago in some really slow stuff and dont recall any flow=e ST, so I dont know much about its motor.  I just recall the suspension being sweet despite it not being set up for me.  Now that I have one I am completely amazed by the power this thing has and since it's used maybe it's tweaked??  It's pretty much "on it" right off idle and continues on till it signs off way up top.  I wish there were other yammies I could throw a leg over and compare but its all KTM's out here.  Does my description sound like a typical stock motor?

Buddy probably had timing tweaked, FWW, etc. my bike is a slow easy manageable ride for an old man. My sons YZ's are hot of idle and keep on going. I prefer take over wild, makes the bike more versatile.

• Like 1

Buddy probably had timing tweaked, FWW, etc. my bike is a slow easy manageable ride for an old man. My sons YZ's are hot of idle and keep on going. I prefer take over wild, makes the bike more versatile.

Come on Gary slap that b!£€h when she doesn't type what you want!

• Like 2

Come on Gary slap that b!£€h when she doesn't type what you want!

I'll leave in the way Siri hears it. Just glad that apple decided to call her Siri and not sisi.

I rode my buddy's yz years ago in some really slow stuff and dont recall any flow=e ST, so I dont know much about its motor.  I just recall the suspension being sweet despite it not being set up for me.  Now that I have one I am completely amazed by the power this thing has and since it's used maybe it's tweaked??  It's pretty much "on it" right off idle and continues on till it signs off way up top.  I wish there were other yammies I could throw a leg over and compare but its all KTM's out here.  Does my description sound like a typical stock motor?

mine feels the same way...chompin at the bit ready to rip. after getting bucked off last weekend i plan to ride a gear higher to tame the beast!

You misread it.  My point was I dont have another yz local to compare with and my one or so rides on my buds ya was years ago and I never really had a chance to open it up.  

My yz just feels STRONG throughout  and I'm wondering if that is just the way they are or has it been tweaked by its former owner.  I'm thinking it was considering it was the spare bike of a local pro.

So your bike is stock and your sons tweaked?

I can't wait to pull the jug and check it out.  Feels stronger then my 300 and maybe even up there with the 500, without the torque of course.

• Like 1

I know you said there are not many yz's out there and lots of ktm's.  Why don't you throw a leg over a 2012 ktm 250sx and ride it back to back with the yz.  The 2012 ktm's are typically regarded as arm rippers when the PV and map are adjusted to be more aggressive.    Not a perfect comparison but at least it is something to go off of. 

What known mods did the bike come with? did/does your yz have stock reeds/reed block?  I don't think it is very common for people to do engine work and then retain the stock reed system. 

I don't get many chances to ride other bikes let alone other 2strokes so I have never had a chance to compare my yz250 to other bikes much, all I know is that it pulls hard and makes enough power that the trick is getting the power to the ground more than anything.  Then when you can get it to hook up well just hang on and good luck keeping the front end on the ground. 

My '01 without the FWW, all stock except for a PC Platinum pipe was like that when I got it.  An absolute rocket & trench digger right off the bottom.  Since I do a lot of tight stuff, added the 13 oz. FWW and backed off the timing a couple of deg., the snap is way more subdued.

I know you said there are not many yz's out there and lots of ktm's.  Why don't you throw a leg over a 2012 ktm 250sx and ride it back to back with the yz.  The 2012 ktm's are typically regarded as arm rippers when the PV and map are adjusted to be more aggressive.    Not a perfect comparison but at least it is something to go off of. 

What known mods did the bike come with? did/does your yz have stock reeds/reed block?  I don't think it is very common for people to do engine work and then retain the stock reed system. 

I don't get many chances to ride other bikes let alone other 2strokes so I have never had a chance to compare my yz250 to other bikes much, all I know is that it pulls hard and makes enough power that the trick is getting the power to the ground more than anything.  Then when you can get it to hook up well just hang on and good luck keeping the front end on the ground. 

Good post.  I owned a 12 ktm sx.  LOVED the motor, but this yz blows it away in power from start to almost the end.  The YZ signs of whereas the sx has an after burner WAY up high where I rarely go.

You right, it wouldnt make much sense to tweak a motor without doing reeds and mine has the stock ones.  Your last comment makes me think its just the way this motor is stock.  Very impressive if so.

stock the yz is a ripper right off the bottom. its why its such a popular bike. Only thing I have ridden that is same or better is the 05+ rm250 they are awesome in stock form as well.

Glad you love your yz! i love mine.

You misread it.  My point was I dont have another yz local to compare with and my one or so rides on my buds ya was years ago and I never really had a chance to open it up.  

My yz just feels STRONG throughout  and I'm wondering if that is just the way they are or has it been tweaked by its former owner.  I'm thinking it was considering it was the spare bike of a local pro.

So your bike is stock and your sons tweaked?

I can't wait to pull the jug and check it out.  Feels stronger then my 300 and maybe even up there with the 500, without the torque of course.

It was early this AM.

What I ment is:

My bike is very tame (possibly like your buddies bike). I have 14/48 gears, 1-5 WR450 gears, Rekluse, 13oz FWW.

My sons bikes are both stock with the exception of one has a 9oz FWW, one does not. They are both hot throttle all the way to the end.

Not sure if I understood you right or not but.... The boys bike in stock form sound like your bike, and mune sounds like the buddies you road. 

IDK, Maybe I am talking out my anus. Been there, done that. 

It was early this AM.

What I ment is:

My bike is very tame (possibly like your buddies bike). I have 14/48 gears, 1-5 WR450 gears, Rekluse, 13oz FWW.

My sons bikes are both stock with the exception of one has a 9oz FWW, one does not. They are both hot throttle all the way to the end.

Not sure if I understood you right or not but.... The boys bike in stock form sound like your bike, and mune sounds like the buddies you road. 

IDK, Maybe I am talking out my anus. Been there, done that. 

No worries on that. I probably wasnt clear.  On my buds bike I never got a chance to ride it in a spot to REALLY check the motor out so I have about zero experience on the yz other then finally riding my own.

So you've tamed yours using gearing and WR tranny which broadens out the power.  Nice.

I know that is the smart route and my plan is to do that, but I have to say this motor is an absolute blast to ride.  Couple that with amazing suspension and I just dont know why I've waited so long to get one and why more arent riding them.  On flow-e ST this thing is an absolute weapon.

• Like 1

No worries on that. I probably wasnt clear.  On my buds bike I never got a chance to ride it in a spot to REALLY check the motor out so I have about zero experience on the yz other then finally riding my own.

So you've tamed yours using gearing and WR tranny which broadens out the power.  Nice.

I know that is the smart route and my plan is to do that, but I have to say this motor is an absolute blast to ride.  Couple that with amazing suspension and I just dont know why I've waited so long to get one and why more arent riding them.  On flow-e ST this thing is an absolute weapon.

Mountain bike with a motor... Bad aszz!!!!