Sign in to follow this  

Younger riders, what do YOU do to accommodate lack of experience?

I got impression we're talking here only about older riders and like only older can get really hurt which is nonsense so -

I'm interested in how youngsters manage accidents, bruises and broken bones. I would say younger riders because of lack of experience and quite often body strength

crash more often, they heal faster but nothing is lost in nature, some injuries will come back with age. On the other hand older riders

crash less because they know what they're doing more (well, they should) hence the balance is more or less even.

That proves younger or older we can all ride equally hard.   :cool:

i would'd say im young, im 38 but i just got back into riding a couple years ago. i watch videos on youtube and take what i leaned to my riding spot. i go at my own pace till i get it down then im balls to the wall. i do a lot of research and watching technique to incorporate it into my riding and teaching my 9 year old son the right and wrong way to ride 

• Like 2

Older riders were all younger riders at some time… Many are still younger riders at heart!!

We just can’t remember what it was like back then…. so we’re a bike out of gas so to speak on this subject ;) 

They don't do anything except throw caution to the wind and make it or get hurt trying lol. I don't ever remember thinking like an adult when I was a kid. Just try harder and go a little faster or farther each time.

My dad taught me the importance of safety from day 1 at 8 yrs old and I never really got hurt riding till I was in my 20's doing something stupid.

Edited by OCsquid
  • Like 1

From my old age experience! I had to learn the had way! You do not need to go fast just ride smoothly. Most of the time these ball to the wall rider's will pass me on the trail and then a little bit later down the trail there they lay with all the bark off the tree! Handle bar's all a twist! Bad day cut short?

• Like 2

Regardless of age and when you start a sport, there's a learning and for that matter a recovery curve.

As you gain experience you will most likely crash less. I do crash less but I'm pushing my self more and riding more very technical terrain so when I do crash it's either somewhat gracefully or EXTREMELY spectacular and usually painful.

IMO and if I can give any advice, you recover faster when you are younger but if you don't deal with those injuries when you are young, they do not get better with age.

Bismarck said stupid people have to learn from their own experience. Smart people learn from other people's experience.

• Like 1

Im 16 and just started riding this summer along with my freind, experience is definitely lacking in both of us. For instance we stayed out to long and it started to get dark, my friend was going about 30mph and ran straight into a barbed wire fence. Personally to accommodate for lack of experience Ive added preventive damage equipment I guess is the best way to put it, Like adding bark busters so I don't completely mess up my handlebars. But besides that nothing much else. Riding fast and hard actually helps. To be completely honest the biggest thing that I do is brush off injuries, wrecks gain the most experience.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm in my riding prime right now. I'm still near my peak of physical fitness, yet I've been riding dirtbikes for enough years to pick up a skill or two. Another major component to my riding technique has been getting into trials riding. The point is that age doesn't seem to be a reliable indicator of someone's abilities. I see lots of old farts that never really picked up a lot of skills or think the techniques they learned in the early 70's are the only valid techniques. 

That's like asking what you do if you suck at golf. Just keep practicing a skill until you can do it proficiently.

That's like asking what you do if you suck at golf. Just keep practicing a skill until you can do it proficiently.

not a t all, I have yet to meet a golf player who broke his bones during game.

cannot say this about dirt bike riders...

not a t all, I have yet to meet a golf player who broke his bones during game.

cannot say this about dirt bike riders...

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=90461

Tiger Woods tore his ACL and fractured his tibia from just the amount of torque his swing produces.

But I guess I should have said "That's like asking what you do if you suck at SPORTS" because you can easily get hurt in baseball, or football too with a lack of practice, such as not practicing how to take a pitch, or by not practicing running with your head up so you don't break your neck. All I'm saying is it's like anything else, just practice.

Edited by RiderDeAzul

I see lots of old farts that never really picked up a lot of skills.... 

Hey, some of us started riding after 40 and we are still learning  :p   

• Like 1

im 14. Ive fractured my wrist amd bent it at a 17° or so angle. during thay time my bike got started, idled, cleaned, maintained etc. Ordered some new parts then once i got my cast off road like hell

being small on a 250r (6'1, 120 pounds) Im a stick i know. i try to work out 3 out of the 5 schooldays.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm in my riding prime right now. I'm still near my peak of physical fitness, yet I've been riding dirtbikes for enough years to pick up a skill or two. Another major component to my riding technique has been getting into trials riding. The point is that age doesn't seem to be a reliable indicator of someone's abilities. I see lots of old farts that never really picked up a lot of skills or think the techniques they learned in the early 70's are the only valid techniques. 

this is not the "age" I'm talking about but experience which come with time doing particular activities. Of course if somebody starts at his forties his experience is less then 20 year old who started in his teenage.

For this topic I assume we all started in our teens.  

I don't know, I'm 15 and around 5:11 and 190 pounds. I don't push my limits on any day for the first hour. I BARELY crash. My last bad crash . Some little kid pulled out in front of me and I grabbed too much brake over the face of a jump . Sore shoulder for a week but I'm alright. Honestly I don't care that some of the other guys my age are faster. I go just fine I feel. And half of them are in and out of the hospital. F$&k that! I'm playing it safe. But I do push myself all the time, staying careful is being safe. Don't think you can do it, don't, do it