Sign in to follow this  

New to me 2005 Honda CR250 - initial review...

Greetings-

Picked up a pretty low hour 2005 Honda CR250 on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago.  Had been kicking around the idea of a 2013+ KTM 250SX, refreshing my 03/01 Hybrid CR250, or waiting for the 2017 KTM 250SX.  I'd given up looking for a clean, low hour '05-'07 CR250 when this one popped up.  Had to drive 4.5 hours to pick it up, but for $2600 it was worth it.

Did a quick check over the bike when I got it home and the only major issue I could find was the steering stem bearings were toast and a few rear spokes were loose.  Will need to replace the shock bumper as well (harsh chemicals ate it up).  Replaced the bearings, checked the torque all over the bike, set the sag, reset clickers, and put on a 36mm Keihin PWK from a late model 250SX.

Some impressions from the first time at the track on it:

Handling - Very good. very stable while able to take inside lines without problem.

Suspension - Very good, good bottoming resistance with adequate plushness.  Maybe not quite as plush as KYB SSS, but much more comfortable than KTM/WP setups.

Brakes - Pretty good, not quite as good as a newer KTM but good enough.  Have a 270 mm front rotor on deck if needed.

Power - pulls very hard in midrange, a little soft down low, and a little flat on top.  It is possibly jetting related as it was colder than expected (in the 50s, too damn cold).  Was running 172 MJ, 40 PJ, NECJ 3rd clip.  Only detected a little pinging at partial throttle and otherwise ran very clean.

Overall, was immediately comfortable on the bike.  Bike is very fast.  Once again, the bike won't be the limiting factor in my lap times. :)

Compared to my '03 CR250 with the original engine, this bike feels much faster and has better roll on power even in stock form.  Compared to the '01 CR250 engine in the '03 chassis, I think the '05 engine is smoother and a bit broader in stock form.  I had the base of the '01 CR250 engine milled and squish corrected and that made the engine much more usable for mortal man, but think the '05 engine will be better overall with the CamP treatment (0.030" off the base, squish corrected for pump gas).

In the coming weeks, I plan to pull the cylinder for the mods and a fresh top end.  Would highly suggest the '05-'07 CR250 to anyone looking for a 250 2-stroke.  Excellent platform that with a few known tweaks will be even better.

Gratuitous picture attached.

Erik

IMG_2052_CR.jpg

• Like 1

Some say cutting the base of the cyl really hurts the top end. Might want to do a lot of homework before you do something that can't be reversed. Would be much easier and less stressful to just sell me the bike. ;)

• Like 2

Haha YHGEORGE.!

Nice clean bike..! I have to agree, I had an 01, stock motor with fatty, and remember it being very usable, after modding my 07, I have to say it is very authoritative in the power delivery.. I am running a knarly currently, and it makes excellent low and mid range with plenty of top.. I ride mostly hardpack clay so cranky 2strokes just spin tires where this motor works fairly well.. It's as 4stroke as I have ever ridden while mixing gas, but still has the lightness of the 2stroke.. I love it, and want to set it up a bit more next year.

Welcome back from the orange side..  

I've also tried & owned the blue, yellow & green bike only to come back to a red one..   The only bike I haven't owned is the orange one due to the inadequate WP suspension.

Agree with your comments.  Have also owned a new 01 in stock form & also with mods, but feel the 02-07 models IMHO are much better all around (motor & suspension/chassis) once set up.  Enjoy your new scoot !  

• Like 1

Quickest way to get more low end and a better top end with good over rev, is to put an FMF SST pipe. Buy it. Put it on. You won't regret it.

That a money back guarantee you're offering? My experience with the SST was not impressive.

That a money back guarantee you're offering? My experience with the SST was not impressive.

and mine has been very impressive. 

had to up my main jet one size.

broader power band.  a little bit more low end.  meatier mid, a better hit from mid to top.  more top end.  and an over rev to the moon.

this is on an 02 cr250, stock everything else. 

fatty is good but not as good as the SST. 

gnarly is junk.  i wouldn't run one on anything i own.  they basically cut the balls off the motor.  and give it a very quick unpredictable transfer from low end to mid.

Thanks for the replies.

Going to stick with the stock pipe for now, but wouldn't mind the sound of a Pro Circuit or FMF silencer.

I also have a '14 KTM 150SX that is an absolute blast to ride.  Going to set that one up for my son now and stay red for awhile.

George, I picked up the bike in Baton Rouge.  Was going to drop it off on the way back, but couldn't find your address. :thumbsup:

What's your elevation? Seems a bit lean....I'm at 178 main 45 pilot....'06 cr 250 pwk ....I may go to 175 in summer however...seems the 178 is perfect for 50 degrees down at my elevation - 800 feet .... Necj needle...

Edited by CR-rippa

The .030" off the bottom with the head cut for pump fuel was the best thing I could have done on my 06.  I was scared to death of the power delivery in stock form.  Completely unpredictable with no bottom end a freight train hit in the mid range and then fall flat on its face on top.  The mod gave it a ton of bottom end, kept the mid and it now has an overrev.  I don't feel like it lost anything on top, if anything it added more top, I can hold a gear on longer straights without wanting to shift, and I can hold 3rd gear on most corners and roll the throttle off the corner with little clutch work.  The motor went from being unusable scary to unbelievably awesome.  all for the low price of $99 plus shipping from Eric Gorr.

• Like 2

I think it's a great mod but has to be done correctly, and unfortunately some porting shops haven't.  Also, interpretation of the results is subjective, without a dyno.

There is always a tendency for folks to think different exhaust is the answer, but stock Honda exhaust is really pretty good.  Is the SST the one with the smaller diameter stinger pipe than stock?

ran stock exhaust on my 07 up intill last summer.replaced with FMF fatty and it is really close to stock.I wanted to keep original in good shape plus just curious how the fatty would compare

Power - pulls very hard in midrange, a little soft down low, and a little flat on top.  It is possibly jetting related as it was colder than expected (in the 50s, too damn cold).  Was running 172 MJ, 40 PJ, NECJ 3rd clip.  Only detected a little pinging at partial throttle and otherwise ran very clean.

Erik - My experience with the 05-07's (have owned 4) in stock form is the motor will go flat up top vs. the 02-03 models in stock form.   The 05-07 redesigned cyl. & head with single powervalve does provide a tad more grunt off the bottom in comparison to the 02-03's owned (stock vs. stock).   Thought I'd post a couple of Terry Varner motors done with the .030" off the base to give you some food for thought on the mod.  One is on an 04 (02-04 similar engine) model & the other is on an 06 (05-07 same engine).  If you read the articles you can tell the motors powerband is transitoned to low-mid at the sacrifice of some topend with the .030" off the base mod..   I talked to Terry back in 2003-2004 about this mod & decided against it due to the power being concentrated in the low-mid & went with a different tuner instead.

Depending on what your looking for out of the motor & the type of riding you'll be doing it might be something to consider.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1099803-06-cr250-build-by-motocross-action/?view=findpost&p=11820227&hl=%2Bterry+%2Bvarner

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVgdjAgrHJAhWDKYgKHSnnA-0QFggkMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocross.transworld.net%2Ffeatures%2Funleashed-fury-realizing-the-2004-honda-cr250rs-true-potential%2F&usg=AFQjCNHBfzV0gVXBGI-C7_8HhOcrpr869w&bvm=bv.108194040,d.cGU  

• Like 1

H4L-

My reply wasn't showing up:

Thanks for the reply and the links.  I think I am going to go for the base mod/squish correction for now.  There's only one track I ride at where I feel like more mid/top might be nice.  At most of them, I would benefit with a smidge-more roll on power and a smoother mid-range versus more mid and top.

That being said, I have 2 stock '03 cylinders (and pipes) and may send one out to PC or Gorr for a mid/top package just to see how I like it.

Edited by erik_94COBRA
  • Like 1

What's your elevation? Seems a bit lean....I'm at 178 main 45 pilot....'06 cr 250 pwk ....I may go to 175 in summer however...seems the 178 is perfect for 50 degrees down at my elevation - 800 feet .... Necj needle...

Elevation is right at sea level.  I think I may be a bit lean, but I'm already way richer than the recommended KTM 250SX jetting for this 36mm PWK.  On my '01 engine with 38mm PWK, I normally run 178/48/N3EW pretty much year round.

H4L-

My reply wasn't showing up:

Thanks for the reply and the links.  I think I am going to go for the base mod/squish correction for now.  There's only one track I ride at where I feel like more mid/top might be nice.  At most of them, I would benefit with a smidge-more roll on power and a smoother mid-range versus more mid and top.

That being said, I have 2 stock '03 cylinders (and pipes) and may send one out to PC for a mid/top package just to see how I like it.

Just got back from a ride & took out the 06 CR250r today !  It's pretty much bone stock minus Enzo suspension set up for a 200 # mx int. rider & leaned out jetting on the stock mikuni.  I was in 5th searching for more topend with the stock 13/49 gearing today since I ride most my 250 2t's in the mid-top part of the powerband.  I got to ride an 06 model over the summer with .025" off the base & it had less topend than it does in stock form.  It is a trade off & the base mod will give you more from low-mid at the sacrifice of some top.       

I have an 03 cyl. & head (cut for race gas) done by PC & can tell you with certainty it will give you more than enogh power from mid -top if you decide to go that route.   After riding the 06 today I'm thinking of sending the cyl. & head to PC if I don't end up selling it.   Once you've ridden on fast modified motors a stock one will seem docile in comparison.   Good luck on yours...       

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Going to stick with the stock pipe for now, but wouldn't mind the sound of a Pro Circuit or FMF silencer.

I also have a '14 KTM 150SX that is an absolute blast to ride.  Going to set that one up for my son now and stay red for awhile.

George, I picked up the bike in Baton Rouge.  Was going to drop it off on the way back, but couldn't find your address. :thumbsup:

Dirty dog. I'll get even,,,I always get even!