Sign in to follow this  

Hydraulic clutch on 450 SX-F engages early

Clutch on new SX-F starts engaging about halfway (maybe less) through the throw. This is my first KTM and first hydraulic clutch so was surprised when I realized that this was not adjustable. Called the dealer and the tech who assembled my bike confirmed that there's nothing to adjust. I'm not happy about this as I'm used to adjusting the clutch so that it engages near the end of the throw (otherwise the lever is smashed against my fingers).

Can someone tell me what's normal? I can't believe that KTM transplants are just supposed to be ok with such a drastic change in clutch play.

Thanks.

I'm not happy about this as I'm used to adjusting the clutch so that it engages near the end of the throw (otherwise the lever is smashed against my fingers).

You realize by doing that you may have made it so your clutch never fully engages? KTM clutches are great, they make it so people cant screw them up and make it so they don't work properly.

You realize by doing that you may have made it so your clutch never fully engages? KTM clutches are great, they make it so people cant screw them up and make it so they don't work properly.

Doing what? I asked a question. Haven't done anything yet.

Dealer (who has excellent BMW & KTM mechanics) bled and checked the system and confirmed that everything is to spec. Guess I'll have to get used to a little different feel. Just a little surprised that the engage point for a hydraulic clutch can't be adjusted.

Yes, I know about the little black screw. That just adjusts the reach. I adjust mine for the longest reach.

• Like 1

Doing what? I asked a question. Haven't done anything yet.

you said "I'm used to adjusting the clutch so that it engages near the end of the throw". that is the sentence I was responding to. Go back ad reread if that wasn't clear.

Yeah, I did. Still don't see where I said I was "doing" anything. I said what I was used to doing. Maybe go back and reread. Dude.

Yeah, I did. Still don't see where I said I was "doing" anything. I said what I was used to doing. Maybe go back and reread. Dude.

I was referring to what you where use to doing, the thing you did in the past. specifically adjusting the lever so the clutch engages near the end of the throw. by doing that, the sentence I just typed, that you said in your post, you could have been making it so your clutch never fully engages.  

If that doesn't clear things up don't even bother typing up a response to this because I have absolutely no response.