Sign in to follow this  

Best tire pressure for cr250

I have a 98 cr250 and I want to know the best tire pressure to have for trail riding. What happens if tire is over inflated? Does it make the ride worse?

Depends on terrain and your speed.. If it's sandy loam, them run about 12-13.. If it's rocky with roots, then maybe more, like14-15psi.. The softer the tire, the more flex and grip around rocks and roots, but will crush the tire right to the rim and cause dents and pinched tubes and flats in the middle of nowhere, so sacrifice grip for rim and tube protection

I have a 98 cr250 and I want to know the best tire pressure to have for trail riding. What happens if tire is over inflated? Does it make the ride worse?

15 / 15

look at the rim itself, start with a certain pressure like 12 psi, take it for a ride, then look at the rim itself right underneath the bead, it should be scrubbed clean about a 1/8th", its called rim scrub, usually is a real good indication of the right tire pressure

the front pressure is a factor of how low you dare without pinch flats.  If no rocks and sharp edged jump landings, I like 11 psi.  14-15 would be if I'm really worried about a pinch flat.

in the rear, you can get away with lower without a pinch flat.  I have run as low as 5-6 psi for a muddy hare scrambles

this is subjective...depends on rider weight and tire sidewall stiffness as well

Dunlop used to sell a Race Replica rear...not fun to mount, very stiff sidewall...almost a "run flat" tire...those worked well at low pressures

I'm assuming you are using a quality tire tester (Milton etc)

Edited by motometal