Sign in to follow this  

Beta 300rr To Do List

Hi everyone, I've recently took delivery of a 2016 300rr, although I'm new to off road riding I absolutely love the Beta, light years ahead of the 2010 exc 250 I bought as my first off road bike. Anyway with it being the first bike I've bought brand new I want to make sure I look after it.

It's just ticked over 4hrs so dropped the transmission oil and replaced.

Removed rear linkage and greased all bearings, weren't as dry as I was expecting but at least it's done. I've added anti seize (copper slip) to the bolts and also the sing arm bolt but not sure what to torque them back up to as seems a few people don't agree with the manual and don't want to over tighten with me using anti seize.

What other jobs would you reccomend doing? I've seen people mention greasing the head bearings but I haven't a clue how to do it. Any other jobs/tips to do in a new bike?

Hi everyone, I've recently took delivery of a 2016 300rr, although I'm new to off road riding I absolutely love the Beta, light years ahead of the 2010 exc 250 I bought as my first off road bike. Anyway with it being the first bike I've bought brand new I want to make sure I look after it.

It's just ticked over 4hrs so dropped the transmission oil and replaced.

Removed rear linkage and greased all bearings, weren't as dry as I was expecting but at least it's done. I've added anti seize (copper slip) to the bolts and also the sing arm bolt but not sure what to torque them back up to as seems a few people don't agree with the manual and don't want to over tighten with me using anti seize.

What other jobs would you reccomend doing? I've seen people mention greasing the head bearings but I haven't a clue how to do it. Any other jobs/tips to do in a new bike?

The head bearings are just like your KTM. I tightened my suspension stuff up Beta spec but was really nervous. Looking back I would have been better off just snugging everything with less than half the recommended torque. Some guys use some fancy "internet formula" when using Never Seeze. Bostic Recommends 30% less torque when using their product. 

IMO the best torque table is the one made by Glenn. Very reasonable values. He has more experience with chassis and suspension work than most of us here. 

http://www.betarider.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=901

Tape up the steering lock if you don't use it as water gets in through lock and rusts lower head race bearing.,lock tight kick stand bolt,it can work lose..

Ah, I have taped up the steering lock. I have read through all the pages. I only had the KTM 2 months and never did the head bearings so unsure how to do it. Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at them torques and just be a little sensible.

Thanks, I'm going to run through a few of them tomorrow. Can you get a bigger rear brake pedal as in the surface area as I'm struggling a little when stood up, coming from road bikes where you don't use the rear brake is hard to change the habit.

Lower the float height.

Slide the blinker switch off before it's broken, little screw on the bottom and it come right off.

I align my rear axle with my folding sag tool, the one end slides in the axle and then use the flat side of the small bolt holding the frame guard on (it's threaded into the swingarm pivot bolt. The reference marks on the back of the swing arm seem to be off a little more than the last three Betas I've had, most won't notice.      

Excellent, cheers.

I've seen a few mentions regarding float height, will it definitely need doing or is it just some bikes. Never took a carb apart before, I also get a headache wondering if it's running to its full potential as not a clue when it comes to jetting etc. Ha.

• Like 1

". Can you get a bigger rear brake pedal as in the surface area as I'm struggling a little when stood up, coming from road bikes where you don't use the rear brake is hard to change the habit."

I bought a Hammerhead brake tip for my 300. It made the rear brake much easier to use as the stock brake tip is too small.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/950/40653/Hammerhead-Rear-Brake-Pedal-Replacement-Large-Aluminum-Tip?term=hammerhead+brake+pedal

Edited by JoePass