Sign in to follow this  

Buying a used bike from dealership vs craigslist

I have a 2015 crf250x with low hours. I like it, but after riding it for 7 months I'm thinking I want a 250f now. My local dealership sells used 250fs/450fs that look like they're in good condition. If I were to trade in my bike, would it be better to trade for another brand new one or for a used one (from the dealership) in good shape? Is it better to buy used bikes from dealerships in general?

I have a 2015 crf250x with low hours. I like it, but after riding it for 7 months I'm thinking I want a 250f now. My local dealership sells used 250fs/450fs that look like they're in good condition. If I were to trade in my bike, would it be better to trade for another brand new one or for a used one (from the dealership) in good shape? Is it better to buy used bikes from dealerships in general?

buying a used 4 stroke can be compared to rolling the dice. It could be in your favor or blow up in a few hours. That being said a new bike could do the same thing. I bought a new bike so I can maintain it the way I like and I know what I have. If I could afford it, I would go with the new bike since you will be paying taxes and dealer fees on both new and used. Might as well go new IDK just my opinion.

You will pay more from a dealer.

A good dealer will also stand behind anything he sells, a crappy dealer will tell you he warranty expired as soon as you left the lot, too bad, so sad. A sales person is your best friend until you walk out the door and then they will deny ever having met you. Most  dealers, take a bike in, wash it, wax it and put it on the floor. They do not go over the bike adjusting and fixing everything.

A craigslist seller will try to stab you in the WalMart parking lot or may genuinely be a nice and honest guy.

Any bike, no title, no deal. Craiglsit seller, you do the transaction next to the police station.

• Like 2

I bought a drz400 from a small dealer for a great price. Sure its ugly as sin and needed some touchups but if anything were to go catastrophically wrong with the bike, we have laws out in AZ that makes a dealer.responsible for unknown damage and theyll have to foot the bill (Not sure if this only applies to Road-Legal bikes, though). As for trading in, youre more likely to get more money selling it on craigslist, given somebody actually wants to buy it. A Dealer is pretty much guaranteed to take it, especially since it's not old.

Edited by Ksanete

Ya either can be a bit of a crap shoot IMO.

I thing I've found with my local dealers is it's important to build a relationship with them. For example, I am straight up with all my locals guys and they know I want to support them 100%. When I buy parts etc. I do my research on-line to get an idea of costs (mostly after market, tires etc). I then go to my local shop and ask them if they can come close. Pretty much 95% of the time they will match the cost or come close enough that I buy from them.

This is building the relationship.

Then I ran into an issue when my bike was down for a weekend waiting for parts and they lent me a bike for the weekend.

I then was doing a full fork re-build. Bought all the parts etc through the shop and then they actually lent me some $$$$ tools I needed to do the job.

When I'm ready to drop the $$$ on a 2016/2017 and IF I can get it from a local dealer, I know I'm getting the best price and local support.

Anyway, I drove to Redding CA from Canada 2010 and bought a used 2005 CRF250R from a dealer for $2500. I've put some cash into over the years but I've had someone recently offer my $3000 for the bike. IMO best deal ever.

Just my rambling 2 cents

You will get more selling your bike than you will trading it in but you will have to deal with all the flakes on CL. Buying used you take the same risk on CL or at the dealer, either way no warranty and you have no idea of the history of the bike and how it was maintained. If you can buy new, if used look for the best deal and check it over as much as possible.

Just my .02¢

If you're on a first name basis with 2 or more people at the dealership that aren't just the stock boy or janitor, you have a relationship with them. If they are smart, they will value that relationship. Valuing the relationship means actually caring about keeping you as a satisfied customer. They really should treat you this way even if its the first time they've ever seen you.

Satisfied customers are the life blood of retail and service industry businesses. MC dealers straddle both of these business types.

Sadly, of all the MC dealers that I've known, including a couple that I've worked for, only two really seemed to get this. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Dirt Bike from a dealer like that, even if it wasn't the at the cheapest possible price.

My brother bought a 2 year old used YZ 125 from one of the 2 really good dealers that I referenced (a Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership). It had trashed Plastics, they included replacement new aftermarket Plastics in the sale, to be shipped directly to our home (because we didn't want to wait to take delivery). When a month went by and the replacements didn't show up, they went across town to the Yamaha dealer and picked up a set of OEM Plastics for him. About a month later (and not many run time hrs) the engine lost compression. I tore the engine down and found the cyl was beyond trashed. I went in to speak to them about it, not really sure how they would respond, since it was a used 2t race bike after all. They took one look at the cyl and agreed that it was totally unacceptable. They bought my brother a new cylinder. We bought the rest of the needed rebuild parts from them at AMA member discount price. That brand new cylinder wasn't cheap, IMO, they took very good care of us. These guys also helped us out with a title/registration problem with another used dirt bike that we purchased from them. Keep in mind that generally speaking, Dirt bikes don't have titles. To ride on state lands in NJ you need a plate. Back then you could get a plate without having a title, but they (the state of NJ) didn't make it easy. A full year after I bought the bike this dealer happily helped me with the docs to get it registered.

Even after I switched from Kawasaki to KTM, I kept buying most of my supplies from them.

In fact, if I were ever to buy a new Kawasaki or Suzuki, I would check with them first, even though I live nearly 50 miles away in a different state now.

Edited by HappyAndy

I purchased a used CRF250X from a dealership in TN and they were very helpful. I told them up front that I would be going over the bike carefully and they had it on a stand and ready for my inspection when I arrived. Prepare a checklist to take with you to make sure that you hit all of the major items, a toolkit, paper towels, rubber gloves, and a flashlight. Since Honda's are known to have flakey valves I even checked clearances and pulled the clutch cover to check the plates. After spending almost two hours inspecting things I prepared a list of items to discuss with the owner. If you are considerate and come across as knowledgeable they should work with you. I got them to replace the chain, clutch lever, and add a skid plate. One other consideration is that they allowed me to test drive the bike in the parking lot. Dealers won't usually do this, but I made it clear that I was not there to haggle over the price and had a cashiers check in hand. Now, if you purchase new you can avoid all of this, but you will pay more. You pays your money and you takes your chances...