Sign in to follow this  

hello and fluids talk

Hey just joined after constantly searching threads here for info. Not my first forum I'm also on an FJ Cruiser Forum. I just picked up a used 02 crf450r from Craigslist last month. I used to have an 08 yz250f in High school. I got it for a steal because the kid thought something was wrong with it but turned out the carb needed cleaning/gasket rebuild and the jetting replaced since they were slightly clogged. Since its winter I'm completely rebuilding it. I replaced the radiators and hoses, new handlebar amd attachments, going to get new brakes, wheels, tires exhaust. The top end had just been rebuilt but I'm going to check the exhaust valves since they are probably ready to be replaced. Since its used I'm going to replace all the fluids and filters. I swapped in an 03 air filter box and going to get a twin air filter, engine ice in the radiators and just plain Honda oil and oil filter. I'll replace the brake fluid later but since I'm rebuilding anyway do you think I should Crack open the clutch and rebuild that too? It shifts fine but I think it's all original still so I figured age would cause it to break when I get to the track in the spring

Forgot to ask are there fluids I can get just at walmart? I'd want to replace all the fluids in the bike and add a fuel additive to clean because the gas it came with was old and there was buildup in the carb I cleaned out

If it were me, I would replace the clutch since it is a rebuild. Why not?

Yes, all fluids are available there.

I have had good luck with both items, you should be ok too.

Why is clutch slipping or smelling hot? Also Quicksilver/mercury fuel treatment works great to keep carbs clean and fuel fresh, it's all I use now.

Edited by ramjetV8

You have a lot of stuff you want to do.  I would not bother with the clutch unless you are experiencing problems.  Its $250 you will need for the other areas and its one of the easiest thing to replace when the time comes.

Wow. Talk about replacing a lot of things that probably don't need to be replaced... Rad hoses? Handlebar mounts? Brakes?? Air filter box??

It's the Intake valves you should be looking at. Not exhaust

I'd recommend she'll rotella t for both engine and clutch side. But sounds like you got a ton of money to burn so yeah. The Honda oils will be fine.

Wow. Talk about replacing a lot of things that probably don't need to be replaced... Rad hoses? Handlebar mounts? Brakes?? Air filter box??

It's the Intake valves you should be looking at. Not exhaust

I'd recommend she'll rotella t for both engine and clutch side. But sounds like you got a ton of money to burn so yeah. The Honda oils will be fine.

Yes Shell Rotella!

If you read the post it says handlebars and mounts, probably installed fat bars. Also he had to put new radiators on so new hoses was a good idea. Brakes are always a good thing. Not so sure about the air box thing though

Thanks for the replies, correct on installing the fat bar I have long arms and like a higher bar compared to the one that was on it. If you saw the radiators you would understand why I replaced them they were curved badly and the hoses came with the kit for an extra 20 bucks. From reading on hear the weak link in 02s was the air box and it didn't have a good seal which I saw right away after removing the filter and how much debris got through. I grabbed an 03 air box with a pc pro seal to fix that. The clutch doesn't seem to shift badly but out all all the bikes I've ever rode it's the hardest to put into nuetral which someone told me the basket might be worn. Would this also cause the Kickstart to be impossible to kick without a boot on? It is super hard to kick down with the pressure it pushes back. Good point also on the intake valves, they had just been replaced before I got the bike and the shop said exhaust valves would be next to go. I have the measuring kit to check while I have the gas tank off. I haven't actually spent too much so far because I waited for deals and have a friend who gets me a really good discount. I figured it was more fun to buy a used bike for 1000 and put 1000 to 1500 into it rather than by a 9000 new

those chinese oversized rads on ebay fo 90$ are actually pretty bad ass IMO.  you can get devol rad braces for another 90$ and have a nice set up for under 200$ FYI.

if its usually hard to kick thats usually the cam chain being too tight via the cam chain tensioner, or the decomp.

exhaust valves last forever. mine rarely move and I beat the hell outta my bike.

if you do get your head rebuilt, install SS intake valves with the proper intake valve springs to go with it.

you can definitely take a look at the basket, that literally takes 15 minutes. very easy to do.  if you plan on taking the basket off, the whole right side cover needs to come off, water pump needs to come off. its all very easy.

id recommend a barnett clutch basket with the SS tabs on the fingers.  lifetime warranty.  mine lasted 6 hard years before the tabs started to groove a little bit. I emailed barnett and they replaced the tabs free of charge. I sent the basket in for 20$ shipping. they fixed it in 2 days and even shipped it back for free.  now thats customer service. very impressed with them. you cant go wrong with a barnett basket.

not sure what youre replacing on your brakes, but the TT store has galfer SS braided front + rear brake lines for 109$ which is a hell of a deal.  I paid 80$ for just a front brake line.

Edited by coryf89

Thanks for the replies, correct on installing the fat bar I have long arms and like a higher bar compared to the one that was on it. If you saw the radiators you would understand why I replaced them they were curved badly and the hoses came with the kit for an extra 20 bucks. From reading on hear the weak link in 02s was the air box and it didn't have a good seal which I saw right away after removing the filter and how much debris got through. I grabbed an 03 air box with a pc pro seal to fix that. The clutch doesn't seem to shift badly but out all all the bikes I've ever rode it's the hardest to put into nuetral which someone told me the basket might be worn. Would this also cause the Kickstart to be impossible to kick without a boot on? It is super hard to kick down with the pressure it pushes back. Good point also on the intake valves, they had just been replaced before I got the bike and the shop said exhaust valves would be next to go. I have the measuring kit to check while I have the gas tank off. I haven't actually spent too much so far because I waited for deals and have a friend who gets me a really good discount. I figured it was more fun to buy a used bike for 1000 and put 1000 to 1500 into it rather than by a 9000 new

if its hard to kick and kicking back on you then chances are the decompression isn't set correctly.  Hard to find neutral can be a notched basket. It can also be worn shift forks as well.  If it was mine and being a 02 I would tear the entire thing down and inspect and clean it. If it measures in spec then run with it I guess. Something about running a 13 year old bike you don't know anything about on a MX track always scares me. lol I always want to make sure stuff is how it needs to be so I don't find the problem coming off the face of a jump. Yes 02 air boxes were junk!

Thanks I'll have to take a look at the Barnett basket. I'm assuming it's grooved but will dig into it this weekend and see since I was replacing the fluids anyway. That's a good deal on the ss lines. I plan on replacing the lines and the rotors and probably the pads. The rotors stop fine but have a little bit of surface rust spots. The oem lines look like there might be an internal leak on the front line since it looks like red spots throughout it inside the clear tubing

One other question. I pulled my carb about 3 weeks ago and after installed the gaskets fuel screw and other stuff I went to reinstall it tonight amd forgot something. On the hot start side there is a clutch type cable about 2ft long. What does that attach to? I already attached the throttle.

That's your hot start cable. That attaches to the carb. There should be a spot for it towards the top front of the carb. Close to the engine.

2 fee long though sounds kinda weird. Got a pic?

Hi one last question, so I picked up a hinson bulletproof clutch basket for a steal since my oem was grooved to hell like suspected, I plan on using the recommended rotella oil on here I used it in the engine already. Would I not be using the hinson basket to its fullest extent by throwing in a tusk clutch kit? It will be used 90% track 10% trail. I was worried since its cheap that it might groove my hinson quickly. One of my local tracks is thunder valley so that gives you an idea on terrain. I'm also going to throw on a hime clutch cover to expand the oil capacity to 800 cc as well as a pro x pressure plate and an oem or pro x inner hub

Edited by Offroad94

I thought my clutch should be almost done so I ordered A tusk kit (03 crf450r) with springs I found it to be grabby and the springs doubled the clutch pull I rode it a few months and swapped back in the original clutch plates and springs, with tusk steels. also I race harescrambles with dead engine starts, I found that rotella was causing fluid sticktion between plates and steels causing it to be impossible to start in gear. I switch to Dex6 auto trans fluid and it works perfect now, quieter also.

I say, good day