Putting lights on a kick-only 125

I haven't been having much luck searching for this, decided it's new thread time to answer it once and for all.

Has anyone successfully put lights, meaning small headlight, LED taillight, brake light, and turn signals, on a kick-only ttr125l?

I assume that I can buy the charging system for the LE and just install everything, minus the starter of course, on my L. But I can't find any information of anyone that has done something like this.

The reason for doing this is because I am dual-sporting my little ttr, mainly for the wife to ride around on but I still like riding it myself. I did the same thing to my CRF450 and my XR650R so I know how to do the wiring and make it work, but there isn't a lot out there for the little TTR in the way of lighting.

Please don't tell me to sell mine and get a LE. Not gonna happen. The resale value on these things are terrible, as we all know. I'm not buying a junk older bike, and I'm not giving mine away then buying new. Mine is an 04, worth very little, and in excellent condition. I've owned it since 2007, and when I bought it the front tire still had nubs on the side. 

Utilizing an LE stator on your L model you will have no problems running a street legal setup. I would recommend using a Tusk dual sport kit. All led, with minimal draw. The only caveat is that you will need to run a DC rectifier to run your setup properly. The tusk kit will come with a small battery, and it operates as its own separate circuit, but if you want to charge the battery, you will need a rectifier. Rather than deal with a two separate systems ( one being AC and the other DC) you can tie them all together, which should give you 90 watts of power to play with. The one lead, which is the yellow lead, coming off the stator should have all that power. The link to the thread I posted has a lot of useful links and info.

• 4 months later...

Rectifiers:

Cheapest option. Check out Vegas Romaniac's channel on YouTube regarding LED's on wiring it up and explaining the differences from AC and DC currents.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GYTWCP2/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1459951904&sr=8-2π=SY200_QL40&keywords=full+wave+rectifier&dpPl=1&dpID=417kdTIXGqL&ref=plSrch

More expensive option, but they offer drop in LED modules to replace bulbs and designed to be Kore plug and play.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Rectifier-for-LED-Light-Module_p_85.html

Most expensive option but may be your best option.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JGRATRM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1459952263&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=trail+tech+rectifier&dpPl=1&dpID=51ZnNMOK36L&ref=plSrch

Please check out the link I provided earlier in the post. That particular thread has several links that include step by step instructions to doing your conversion. And yes, a stator out of an LE model is a direct drop in replacement for you L model and will work. I have done the conversion my self. If you need any specific details or help PM me.