Sign in to follow this  

Who's riding their KTM as a commuter ?

Hi

I own a 2003 Suzki Bandit and a 2015 KTM 350 EXC. I am thinking of dumping the Bandit. My commute is very short. It's a 15-20 minute ride through the downtown core of my city (Montreal).

So I am curious, who else is using their KTM dirtbikes as a daily driver ?

J

I live 8 miles from work but I cant justify it.  The wear and tear on the engine, tires, chain/sprockets etc all up real quick.  Makes me wish I had a CBR300 or something just to rack up cheap miles on.

Not me. Mine only touches the street when I feel anxious and need some stress relief or in between trails.

14 to 19 miles one way depending on route for me.  I've ridden my big bore thumpers as commuters for a decade as part of my rotation thru whatever bikes are currently in the stable.  The ride in isn't always awesome, but the ride home is generally better as I find excuses to take the path less traveled.  People ride these bikes tens of thousands of miles on roads.  Don't let the people who haven't done it scare you from enjoying your bike.  Ride it.  That's why you bought it.

• Like 4

...People ride these bikes tens of thousands of miles on roads. Don't let the people who haven't done it scare you from enjoying your bike. Ride it. That's why you bought it.

:thumbsup:

Edited by cadman_ks

14 to 19 miles one way depending on route for me.  I've ridden my big bore thumpers as commuters for a decade as part of my rotation thru whatever bikes are currently in the stable.  The ride in isn't always awesome, but the ride home is generally better as I find excuses to take the path less traveled.  People ride these bikes tens of thousands of miles on roads.  Don't let the people who haven't done it scare you from enjoying your bike.  Ride it.  That's why you bought it.

Thanks ! 

I figure with the depreciation here where I live in regards to this bike, I might as well burn out then fade away as some Canuck used to say...

Basically, your saying , after work,  that you have to walk the dog.

makes sense > :ride:

Mine goes every day that it is above 30F. About 4 miles one way for me, and all but the last mile is dirt roads...

Cadman,  notice any differences  from old to new bike?

Not really. I think that the new bike is quieter, rattling wise. My old motor ticked quite a bit from day one. This one does too, but not as loud.

I've noticed that the steering is a little bit quicker / twitchier which really surprised me. The only difference is the front axle is smaller.

Orange frame seems to add 5HP... ;)

Oh they reduce front axle size, didn't know that. I keep hearing the foot springs are weaker than previous years?

Where I work the bikes don't have to apply for pass (on a base) this is why I ride a lot 20 min most on 60mph road.  I bought SM wheels they make trip a 4 am enjoyable and 4 pm hov lane is accessible to bikes. That being said the knobby tires aren't going to last along time on pavement wouldn't commute on them.

Not me. Mine only touches the street when I feel anxious and need some stress relief or in between trails.

I guess to explain a little better, my main reason for not riding on the street is because I run dirt knobbies and I like them to last as long as possible. I'm not worried about putting hours on the bike.

Oh they reduce front axle size, didn't know that. I keep hearing the foot springs are weaker than previous years?

I haven't noticed that the foot springs are weaker...

I guess to explain a little better, my main reason for not riding on the street is because I run dirt knobbies and I like them to last as long as possible. I'm not worried about putting hours on the bike.

I run knobbies.  Currently I have DOT tires on front and back, but I haven't always had DOT on the front...

Axle is also 2mm closer to the fork on 16's.

Havent broken any springs yet on mine, 23h in. (Tested both springs several times ;) )

My commute's <5mi one-way.

Truck's barely warmed up by the time I get into the office (Usually see <10mpg if I commute with it because of that).

Moto gets ~50mpg around town.  And it's a lot more fun.

Wear/tear?  Rip it apart, do a top-end, check everything over every year.

i-TKQmTSB-L.jpg

DSC02516_-L.jpg

• Like 2