Sign in to follow this  

Bike leaking oil and sporadically blowing a bunch of smoke out of the exhaust

I'm wondering what I should do here...

I bought the bike brand new, and the 2nd time I took it out riding (prior to do the basic uncorking/Countershaft sprocket swap mod), I noticed it was leaking oil right around where the gear shifter is. I then called the dealer, and they gladly fixed the problem for me. The mechanic said that the countershaft seal on the transmission wasn't seated properly, and that it was a freak incident that he has never seen before (since the bike was practically brand new aside from 1 or 2 short rides).

Well, after they fixed the leak problem, the bike was good for a few more rides out. I then went ahead and did the basic mods - exhaust, airbox, jets, and countershaft sproket.

Again, I took the bike out probably 3 or 4 times, and everything was great. The bike was running perfectly!

Well just today, I was riding around in my local woods and I noticed that there was a good bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust. At one point there was A LOT of smoke coming out. However, after a little bit, there was no more smoking. Hmm..

I then pulled over for a bit to check the oil level...all good.

I then checked the countershaft sproket area to see if there was anything caked in there, which is a usual habit of mine just to make sure that the chain and gears are able to move freely with no obstructions....and that's when I noticed that there was an oil leak again...Everything was wet with oil, and I saw drippage while the bike was on and idling. It was coming from the same area as it was the last time.

Now I'm wondering what is causing this "countershaft seal" (assuming that it's still the same issue as last time) to keep doing this? Is this maybe something caused by revving the bike to high? I don't beat on the bike that much, but there are times when I'm practicing doing wheelies, and I'll accidentally be in neutral...causing the engine to rev up pretty high. Also, when I'm attempting to climb steep hills, I rev it up pretty high in first...But other then that, I'm not really revving it up too much.

Also, I'm concerned that they will think that it's my fault since the bike has now been modified. 

Anyone know what may be causing this issue? 

You haven't overfilled the crank case with oil have you?

Check and see if the crank case vent hoses are clear and look on the bottom of the air box there's a drain remove it and see if oil comes out

my girlfriend has dumped her ttr125 before it was on its side awhile the airbox got some oil in it and the bike smoked a minute.

Hope fully it's simple these Ttrs are tough and I'm sure the 230 is too.

Hey YZ thanks for the info, I will check out what you are talking about just so I know what to look for for future reference...But no, I haven't added any oil to the bike yet. It's only been off the shop floor for not even 1 month...so I haven't even needed to change the oil yet!

However, I ended up fixing the problem. I figured that rather then taking it back to the shop and having to wait for them to fix it (even though it would be free, considering the bike is only 1 month old and under a 5-year warranty). The issue was exactly what happened before when I had to take the bike back into the shop...I popped of the countershaft sprocket, and what do ya know? The friggin rubber countershaft seal was  popped out of place....Exactly as they told me what happened before, back when the bike was only 2 days old!!

So I simply pushed the seal back into place, bolted the C/S sprocket back on, and no more leak.

My main concern is why this seal keeps popping out of it's hole?? Is this a common problem?? Should I maybe use some Lucas red tacky grease to help keep it "stuck" in it's place??

I did drop the bike once or twice today, and I was revving out the lower gears pretty hard as I was practicing wheelies and jumps, AND there was a bunch of dirt and grime underneath the C/S cover....so maybe all of these factors led to the seal popping out of place. I'm beginning to think that it may be a good idea to keep the C/S cover off just so I can keep the area free of dirt and other crap that may clog up around the C/S sprocket area.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Irishman301

I'd suggest replacing the seal with a new one, if the dealer just re seated the original seal and its popped out again in may be defective, they typically fit pretty darn tight to the case and anytime I've rebuilt engines they can be stubborn to come out.

Just to confirm, the smoke coming from the exhaust is blueish and not black.  Black smoke is fuel related, as when your jetting is too rich.

As mentioned by yzdude250f have a look that the crankcase breather isn't blocked,

if you have excessive crankcase pressure build-up, yes that could blow-by/smoke as well as push out the countershaft seal/leak.

Less probable but since your engine is new, the piston rings are perhaps not fully seated yet but, it's not normal to smoke heavily even on rare occasions.

Otherwise there aren't many reasons smoke would sporadicaly pour out of the exhaust: crankcase pressure build-up/piston ring blow-by, valve guide problem.

Do you by chance use the engine to 'compression brake' a lot, like downshifting thru all the gears to slow down/stop rather than using the brakes?

If so that too can lead to oil consumption/smoke.

On a side note, even though the bike doesn't have many hours on it yet

don't stretch out doing the first oil change on the engine as preventative maintenance.

After the first few hours of operation the oil will quite normaly be contaminated with some break-in material (metal, clutch material, tiny gears shavings etc.)

all that if not flushed out early keeps circulating inside the engine, inducing more wear.

Edited by mlatour

Thanks a lot fellas!

Good call on just changing the seal...gonna order one today.

Also, good call on changing the oil...might as well change the oil and the seal all at once

I'll take a look at what you're talking about with the crankcase vent. That makes sense too...all gives me a better understanding of the bike.

Lastly, no I don't often slow down by down shifting. Very rarely do I slow down using anything other then the brakes or just letting off the gas.

Thanks again for the clarification of what's goin on. I hate having to rely on the dealer for little things such as this!

Edit: I forgot to mention that, yes I have been having issues with the 'breathing hose' (the hose that connects the crankcase to the airbox). That hose has been 'popping off' either at the crankcase side or the airbox side everytime I pressure wash the bike (which is immediately after every ride that I do that the bike gets muddy). I've been keeping a close eye on that hose everytime I wash the bike. HOWEVER, as I was riding home from the self-car wash place (which is where I pressure wash the bike at) this past Sunday, I heard a noise as if something 'blew off'...as suspected, it was that hose, and it popped off while riding causing a compressive-sounding, whistling noise. As soon as I got home about 2 seconds later, I took a look to see that the hose did in fact pop off while I was riding. Luckily it wasn't a long ride from the time I heard the noise, until I was home. I've since replaced the cheesy 'pinch clamps' with much better metal hose clamps to ensure that the hose doesn't pop off anymore.

Perhaps that hose popping off while riding had something to do with the seal popping out. That would mean that I was riding for 2 hours yesterday with the seal popped out of place, and I didn't notice it until I realized it was leaking oil....

Anyway moving forward, order new seal, change oil, keep eye on hose/airbox/oil leakage...

Edited by Irishman301

Well that sucks!!! I just ordered a new seal for $6, but it won't be in until Monday next week. I figured the 'defective' one would work temporarily for the time being, but nope....4 minutes of riding and I hear "pop....phewww...". I knew that meant that the seal blew out again. Beautiful day out today, and this weekend is supposed to be beautiful as well. Unfortunately, I gotta wait until after the weekend until I can ride again.

I'm gonna go sulk in my room for a while  :cry: .

Edited by Irishman301

Something is not right for a countershaft seal to 'pop' out under pressure,

there should be no pressure build-up in the crankcase as it's vented out thru the breather hose.

A few troubleshooting suggestions,

When the engine is idling, if you remove the breather hose do you feel any air pressure coming from it?

(push the countershaft seal back into place for the test, if not pressure might be escaping from around it)

Are you sure you are plugging in the vent hose at the right location on the airbox ?

If you unplug the engine end of the hose and blow thru it (while the other end is still plugged into the airbox) does it seem blocked or restricted ?

Any chance you've damaged/blocked anything in the area where the breather hose connects while doing airbox mods / backfire screen removal ?

Edited by mlatour

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips MLA!

When the seal gets in, I'm going to just change the oil and filter in the bike, along with the seal. I will also check the hose for any obstructions and as you suggested and make sure that it's functioning as it should.

I think that the seal is definitely defective, because when I went to put it back in last night it went in very easily. It didn't feel tight like YZ said it's supposed to feel. Therefore, even if the hose is allowing the crankcase to breathe freely, even a slight bit of pressure along with the spinning of the transmission while the bike is in gear could very easily cause this seal to pop out of it's seated position...it feels THAT loosely seated in there.

If it still pops out after a new seal is put in and I make sure that the breather hose is unobstructed, then I will take it to the dealer to fix it from there.

Ok now this is very strange...

I opened up the airbox and I noticed that there are two place in which you can connect the breather hose to the airbox. One is "blocked off" with a red cap as shown below in the picture, and the other is just a spot for the hose to connect to, but it doesn't actually have an opening into the airbox...

image_zpsoucrrb5f.jpg

Now, I never put that red thing there, and the hose has always been connected to the upper nipple (which is completely pointless because it doesn't go anywhere).

In order for this "breather hose" to do what it is supposed to do, I need to remove this red cap thing, and attach the hose to that nipple. That's no big deal to do...

However, my question is...why wasn't it attached to that nipple in the first place, and why was the "correct" one capped off??

Is this some sort of airflow restriction that comes stock with the bike? It makes no sense???

While it's not a service manual I've looked up the parts diagram for your TT-R230 .

The top connection is for the breather hose, the bottom one (with the red rubber cap) is a water drain in the eventuality some water enters the airbox.

Don't connect the breather to the bottom nipple, water entering the airbox might drain into the engine thru the breather hose!

No it isn't normal that the top nipple (breather) doesn't have an opening into the airbox, that's how it vent out pressure from the crankcase.

Maybe a plastic / molding defect who knows..

Consider running a the same size drill bit thru the center of the top nipple, making certain it passes all the way thru into the airbox.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

The red cap is the air box drain it's actually one of the two I was referring too, and it's placed at lowest point to drain anything if needed. It's supposed to be capped to keep debris out and you only open it if water or oil where to ever make there way into the airbox

pop the oil dipstick with it running and see if a lot of air is forced out some is normal but it shouldn't have a ton.

And yes the hose will go in that upper nipple but that hole seems awful small compared to my ttr125.

"Edit"

I just looked online and seen that the diameter of that hole is small on other 230's too I hopped on eBay and looked at used airboxes and it showed a good picture to confirm that's how it's supposed to bee, see if that holes plugged up or wasn't drilled all the way thru from the factory

Edited by yzdude250f
  • Like 1

Cool thanks fellas!

I tried the "blow test" as MLA suggested with the one side disconnected to the crankcase...and when I blow air it definitely feels (and looks) 100% restricted...no airflow whatsoever going into the airbox. I guess I need to drill it out to the same diameter as the inside of the nipple.

I'll try the dipstick thing as well...but ya, I think the hose restriction is likely the problem.

Edited by Irishman301

Well I had to drill it out, because as I said...the hole went to nowhere before!!!

image_zpsxqvke9qo.jpg

I really wanna ride but I figure that I may as well just wait to get the new seal in since the old one is already popped out of place (the hard part).

How weird...

Edited by Irishman301
  • Like 1

Any internal pressure build-up worsen's an engine efficiency, the piston is sorta 'fighting itself' in which direction it builds compression.

Not saying you'll now pick up 1-2 more HP's but fixing this will at least allow the engine to function how it should.

Easy enough to fix, hopefuly that will be the end of 'surprises' you come across.

Soon you will be able to spend less time wrenching and more time riding!

Edited by mlatour

Thanks a lot for helping me diagnose this issue!

I doubt the shop would've figured this one out...they would've just put a new seal in and called it a day, as I would've too.

Ya hopefully this is the end of the surprises...just wanna ride!!