Sign in to follow this  

2002 RM 125 Water pump on wrong side?

My first time, I'm old, so be nice.  Just picked up a 02 RM-125 (Vin# verified).  Good looking bike, but needs work.  Bought it thinking this strange water hose is in a vulnerable position and that I'll just re-route it the proper way at a later date.  Hence later date.  I may be missing something here, but the water pump is on the wrong side.  It's on the left side of the engine.  Thought maybe someone put an older engine in a 02 frame.  Still can't find one with a left sided water pump.  Any help would be appreciated.  It runs and I will probably re-route it somehow, but is quite a mystery.  Thanks.Suzuki Pump.jpg

Curious about this..

please post a few more pictures taken from different angles, front, righ hand side of bike etc.

also the hose routing to/from the radiators.

I've found a few pics that show previous model year RM125 engines to have a water pump outlet pointing left like that, like '96-00

The hose should go from the pump strait up to the bottom of the left hand radiator.

Edited by mlatour

It should bend to the left side of the frame and follow it up and connect to the lower nipple on the left radiator. Based on the repair work depicted and the zip tie holding the left flare. I would bet the radiators may be wrong if it connects to the right radiator. 

Thanks so far, and yes I'll have to go through it.  Ha Ha and so true.   Was just going to throw some ice tires on it and go, but I'm rethinking that now.

I'm no RM expert but as I mentioned in my earlier post,

pictures and parts lists I've Googled show 1996-2000 RM125's to have a water pump configured like that, the 2001+ later models did not.

If your VIN without a doubt confirms that is a 2002 frame, perhaps an older engine was swapped in and doesn't quite match the newer frame's radiator inlet/outlet configuration.

Edited by mlatour

That makes the most sense to me at this point. And the Winnner is...  Unless someone comes up with something else of course.  Now to track down the year of the engine for rebuild purposes, and reroute that hose if possible.  And I thought I was going to be Bored this winter.  Thanks everyone.

WOW!  :jawdrop:

To me. Looks like an 02 top end on an older bottom end. Late 90's, maybe 2000. JFYI. 2001, 2002, 2003 pretty much have the same bottom end.

I'm not completely sure about the 2000 model bottom end.

Edited by AddictedToBling

That is the 98 through 2000 bottom end it has the internal water pump setup like you have there. My guess is that the old motor blew up and they stuck that one in there. You have a bit of a Frankenstein bike there.

Surprise to see that motor fits cause suzuki went back to the external water pump setup in 01. Because the internal setup made the engine cases longer. So the 01 motor was supposed to be more compact smaller engine. Unfortunately the top ends all look similar in design from 98 thru 03 may need to study part numbers and or model number designation to determine what top end is on the bike.

But it's definitely a 98 through 2000 bottom end.

• Like 1