Sign in to follow this  

maico engine numbers

Have a couple of big bore enduros,had for 10+ years,dry,but not in great shape when I got them. Engine number GT 2446018 on best one,what have I got? Think they are 78/79 era 400 or 450 enduros,but engine numbers seem too high from what I have seen. Any ideas? Not really looking to sell,just starting to think about reviving one. This is not frame number,but engine number,taken off case of one of them,couldnt find that high of a number in serial number lists.

untitled.png maico gt2446018.png

Start doing a Google search with anything you can think up with Maico. Go to every vintage site and seek info, any brand. Go to AHRMA and seek info. I had a '79 440GS and an '86 500 Sand Spider. The '79 was the superior bike and built before the real troubles in Germany began. What you have may be quite valuable in the right circles.

• Like 1

found that bike is a 79 440t maico. also checked engine/frame numbers on other maico I got with it 15 or so years ago. turns out it is a gs 504t isdt bike. what a dope having it for that long and not knowing .what it was.I,guess they were very limited production. Has lights and a center stand,and bigger aluminum tank than a maico 450 magnum,but looks similar in shape,frame 2417### and engine number gt2446### says 504ccm on frame tag. Guess I need to do some more research and put that nearer the front of the line to work on.It can definitely be brought back to life,would be fun to get it running and see how it rips!

Edited by firstplacephoto