Sign in to follow this  

what's the beta reliability?

I have only had mine for a short time and so far so good. I have friends with 2st's that have done many many hard hours. The 4st's, there are not many if them around near me (I have a 4st) but there is heaps of info on the net about people getting really good life out of them. The oil pump gears are plastic and require replacing as per the servicing manual but its not til 100 hrs or so and looks like an easy job. Ride as many bikes as you can, I wanted a 350,6sp,leccy leg enduro bike. I rode the KTM,Husky and bought a Beta. 

MM 

Edited by MartyMOOSE

I have only had mine for a short time and so far so good. I have friends with 2st's that have done many many hard hours. The 4st's, there are not many if them around near me (I have a 4st) but there is heaps of info on the net about people getting really good life out of them. The oil pump gears are plastic and require replacing as per the servicing manual but its not til 100 hrs or so and looks like an easy job. Ride as many bikes as you can, I wanted a 350,6sp,leccy leg enduro bike. I rode the KTM,Husky and bought a Beta. 

MM 

yep, very similar. katos are engineered very well (except for those horrible two stroke starter motors) and so are the betas. the only questionable thing and it's a tiny point on the beta four strokes is that plastic oil pump gear, and as mentioned just put in some metal aftermarket parts at the 100 hours mark. seems they'll go a lot longer, one guy said his only started to rattle around at the 300 hour mark because he didn't know they had to be serviced. 

• Like 1

yep, very similar. katos are engineered very well (except for those horrible two stroke starter motors) and so are the betas. the only questionable thing and it's a tiny point on the beta four strokes is that plastic oil pump gear, and as mentioned just put in some metal aftermarket parts at the 100 hours mark. seems they'll go a lot longer, one guy said his only started to rattle around at the 300 hour mark because he didn't know they had to be serviced. 

\

OZ have you had Beta starter issues ? 

MM 

\

OZ have you had Beta starter issues ? 

MM 

yeah it's started to work intermittently but been too lazy to check on it yet. i put on old lithium battery in from my previous bike so it could just be that playing up. my dealer gave me a list of things to check which i'll have to get around to soon. 

yeah it's started to work intermittently but been too lazy to check on it yet. i put on old lithium battery in from my previous bike so it could just be that playing up. my dealer gave me a list of things to check which i'll have to get around to soon. 

First starter issue on a 300RR i've heard of......

• Like 1

About the same.

How you treat it, how you investigate how to treat it, and how well you do that, is what makes it last.

It doesn't always work like that.

It doesn't always work like that.

...especially if it's a KTM............who has a reputation of delivering bikes before complete testing......leaving it up to the owners to wait for a factory solution of find it on their own...

• Like 2

I've got an intermittent starter issue too with my 14 RR300, but its in the wiring, not the starter itself, as a quick wiggle of the handlebars and it bursts into life. Must do something about it, but it has not played up for 30 hours, then did it last ride :ride:

I hope this is true.  My 4t KTM has been unbelievably reliable for the 7 years I've beat the shit out of it.  

• Like 1

The 2014 300RR I had a demo on had a starter button that didn't work.

I hope this is true.  My 4t KTM has been unbelievably reliable for the 7 years I've beat the shit out of it.  

08 KTM 250 xcfw, most reliable and trouble free bike I've owned in the last 40 years. except for maybe my 97 KDX 200, but the KTM had way more hours on it.

The 2014 300RR I had a demo on had a starter button that didn't work.

Hmm.....It was the button, not the whole system like the KTM 3hundos (as I type this I just finished re doing the whole starter system in my 09 300 xcw).

Hopefully you didn't pull out too much hair figuring out it was merely the switch..

Motumatai, sounds like a relatively easy fix (hopefully).

Edited by dyrtmon

OK 1.5.....It was the button, not the whole system like the KTM 3hundos (as I type this I just finished re doing the whole starter system in my 09 300 xcw).

Hopefully you didn't pull out too much hair figuring out it was merely the switch..

It was a demo. I probably cared less about it than you do about the posts in this thread...

08 KTM 250 xcfw, most reliable and trouble free bike I've owned in the last 40 years. except for maybe my 97 KDX 200, but the KTM had way more hours on it.

Holy shit! That is my EXACT bike (08 250 XCFW). Put a big bore kit, cams, ported polished the head, etc and the bike has asked only gas, oil, batteries and tires of me. Literally that's it.

Edited by freebird_78

I've done the same and still doing it to my 08 530 exc.