Sign in to follow this  

2006 250 SXF Thermostat?

No thermostat on 250f

Thanks Byron.  Good to know.  Had an overheat problem, more from slow riding with my son.  Was planning on new high flow impeller kit, radiator cap and silicone hoses.  The bike is new to me and I rejetted to stock main and 42 pilot.  Stock is 40 and the previous owner put in a 50 pilot which made it really hard to start.  

What are your thoughts on going with a higher pressure rad cap? Stock is 1.8 bar and high pressure is 2.0

Also, thoughts on the Brand GPI Racing for the silicone hoses?

Thanks.

Leo

Pretty sure only the exc 4 stroke ktms are only ones with a tstat 4 stroke wise.

If it were me id look for some radiators from that gpi company. Its all china, but the metal is decent, and the function is better over stock. You cant beat the price. Just make sure all your bungs on radiators are clear from debris. Ive had some with slag inside, or burn thru.

Hoses are not going to affect cooling either way, but the silicone can keep their shape and take more pressure. And also in your case if you buy the samco brand, or cv4 it will eliminate your plastic wye fitting On hot water return. anytime to get rid of plastic in water system is a good thing.

On bigger water pumps, go with mino or splitstream. Splitstream is the copy of mino brand.

If you had a recovery tank, or catch tank id keep a 15 psi cap, but without a tank a higher pressure would insure for most cases the temp can rise and not loose coolant. If you buy some china radiators, then buy a high pressure cap for jap bike, not ktm.

Cv4 makes a good cap.

Any 4 stroke will get hot going slow, but doing a few things will insure you can cool it back off once moving again.

Edited by Byron909

Pretty sure only the exc 4 stroke ktms are only with a tstat.

If it were me id look for some radiators from that gpi company. Its all china, but the metal is decent, and the function is better over stock. Just make sure all your bungs on radiators are clear from debris. Ive had some with slag inside, or burn thru.

Hoses are going to affect cooling either way, but they can keep their shape under pressure. And also in your case if you buy the samco brand, or cv4 it will eliminate your plastic wye fitting On hot water return anytime to get rid of plastic in water system is a good thing.

On bigger water pumps, go with mino or splitstream. Splitstream is the copy of mino brand.

If you had a recovery tAnk, or catch tank id keep a 15 psi cap, but without a tank a higher pressure would insure for most cases the temp can rise and not loose coolant. If you buy some china radiators, then buy a high pressure cap for jap bike, not ktm.

Cv4 makes a good cap.

Any 4 stroke will get hot going slow, but doing a few things will insure you can cool it back off once moving again.

Much thanks for all this.  Since the reply took awhile, I had already bought a new stock cap and new silicone hoses.  I will hold off on the high flow impeller for now and just richen it up a 1/4 turn to see if this helps.  I did put the front grill guards on the opposite sides, thus restricting air flow.  They are back on correct now.  Next ride is probably mid Dec but we are scheduled to all head back to the Desert in mid Jan.  

I really appreciate your input.

If it keeps up, a fan is another option.  There are several options, some take rewiring the electric plugs.  A KTM fan kit (usually plug and play but not sure on the SX).  The same fan from Ebay or Amazon and wire it up on you own or one. two or three $6 to $10computer fans.  Its probably good to start with an overflow bottle too.  There are many thread here and on KTM talk on what to do.  Seems like most  work.  I have overflow bottles on both KTMs and on the YZ 250.  Ebay fan on the XC 250 and three computer fans on the EXC 525.  Sometimes I do slow technical and then they are a must on the KTMs.

Had an overheat problem, more from slow riding with my son.  Was planning on new high flow impeller kit, radiator cap and silicone hoses.  

my 08 250XCF overheats when I do slow technical riding. if they had one, I'd be a D-class rider. My factory manual has some Q&A for technical problems. Under "overheats when riding slowly" the official response is "ride faster"

I failed to see the humor in that answer. I switched to Engine-Ice and things seen to be a bit better. And I'm probably a bit faster. Lots of folks say I should go with Evans Coolant or a fan or two.

Good stuff.  My bro in law runs ice coolant in his Enduro.  I use Coolenol in all my toys.  This is my first 4 stroke dirtbike as my other KTM is a 2 stroke and I don't have an overheat issue.