Sign in to follow this  

Drain Gas or what?

So what's the consensus these days with the enthanol in the fuel over winter.  Treat it and drain the carb like always?  Or drain the gas tank completely???

i wouldnt drain the tank myself i'd fill it to the brim ..  the danger of condensation and rusting bothers me more than possible pickled fuel, but it would probably not be an issue in a controlled environment like beside you bed, in the garage with huge fluctuating temps, its gonna happen .. do drain the carb

I've been draining both tank and carb ever since this ethynol BS started years ago, with no doubts that it's the way to go. On my 03 E, there's a drain plug on the bottom of the float bowl, it's not easy to get at, but can be done, put a small rag under it before you unscrew the plug to sop up the fuel. Another good thing to do is, after draining your tank, take the petcock out and clean the 2 screens that sit up inside the tank

What's the proper way to drain/run the fuel out of the carb with the stock petcock?

Curious about this as well. The bike is brand new to me, and I don't see an off position. Easy enough to run dry and drain the bowl, but how is the fuel stopped?

My DRZ has a conventional petcock, not the "prime" type. My guess would be to crimp the fuel line before disconnecting it from the carb, then direct the line into a gas can, then un-crimp it and let the fuel flow

"I don't see an off position."

PRI is the OFF position with the engine off - assuming it's working properly; Lots of issues with ethanol and the

stock petcock. Try crimping the fuel line with a small C-clamp to be 100% sure. Then either run the engine until the

carb runs dry OR open the small brass drain at the bottom of the float bowl;

Personally - I put Seafoam in the fuel tank, run the engine for 10 mins, close the manual petcock and then drain 

the float bowl. I do this for my boat as well and never had a problem in spring.

G

What's the proper way to drain/run the fuel out of the carb with the stock petcock?

Petcock in any position but "NOT IN PRIME"  Remove the vacuum line and run dry "until bike stalls out" , or drain the bowl with screw at bottom.

Edited by DrD

"I don't see an off position."

PRI is the OFF position with the engine off - assuming it's working properly; Lots of issues with ethanol and the

stock petcock. Try crimping the fuel line with a small C-clamp to be 100% sure. Then either run the engine until the

carb runs dry OR open the small brass drain at the bottom of the float bowl;

Personally - I put Seafoam in the fuel tank, run the engine for 10 mins, close the manual petcock and then drain 

the float bowl. I do this for my boat as well and never had a problem in spring.

G

Prime is not the off position, prime is full flow that bypasses the auto off feature of the vacuum peacock.

• Like 1

So what's the consensus these days with the enthanol in the fuel over winter. Treat it and drain the carb like always? Or drain the gas tank completely???

use non ethanol for the last tank full, fill it up, dump in two stroke oil, then ride it in the spring like nothing happened.

Prime is not the off position,

Sorry my mistake - PRI is the ON position; everything else is the OFF position ASSUMING the petcock

is working correctly and not leaking (many cases of this). Mine leaked over a winter, I now have the manual

PC but you could crimp the fuel line with a C-clamp;

G