New bike, school me on rekluse and steering stabilizers

Wow I havent been on thumpertalk in a very long time but it doesnt mean I havent been riding! I sold my yz 250 about a year and a half ago because I was having too much fun on my husky 125 and the 250 was just sitting. Ive been casually looking for another 250 for desert/dune duty and this one kind of fell into my lap right when I told myself I dont need another bike and if I did it would be a 450 lol

Well now I picked up this 05 250 for a smoking deal last night (I'll post pics when I get home). I thought it was an 06 so the fact that it was an 05 when I went to pick her up was a little bit disappointing but thats ok. Anyways the bike is set up with a Rekluse clutch and a scotts steering stabilizer, both of which I have never had on any of my bikes.

I have read up on the rekluse quite a bit, I will say it was way different riding the bike with a Rekluse when I test drove it and the clutch feel is much different, my question is what are some tips and tricks with the Rekluse clutch and the stabilizer that you guys with 250s have specifically used. How does the adjustability on the scotts stabilizer work?

I know I'll get the hang of it with some seat time but Im bored at work with a new bike sitting in the garage so im itching to get more info!

• Like 1

Wow I havent been on thumpertalk in a very long time but it doesnt mean I havent been riding! I sold my yz 250 about a year and a half ago because I was having too much fun on my husky 125 and the 250 was just sitting. Ive been casually looking for another 250 for desert/dune duty and this one kind of fell into my lap right when I told myself I dont need another bike and if I did it would be a 450 lol

Well now I picked up this 05 250 for a smoking deal last night (I'll post pics when I get home). I thought it was an 06 so the fact that it was an 05 when I went to pick her up was a little bit disappointing but thats ok. Anyways the bike is set up with a Rekluse clutch and a scotts steering stabilizer, both of which I have never had on any of my bikes.

I have read up on the rekluse quite a bit, I will say it was way different riding the bike with a Rekluse when I test drove it and the clutch feel is much different, my question is what are some tips and tricks with the Rekluse clutch and the stabilizer that you guys with 250s have specifically used. How does the adjustability on the scotts stabilizer work?

I know I'll get the hang of it with some seat time but Im bored at work with a new bike sitting in the garage so im itching to get more info!

I have the scotts on my 05. The adjuster on the left is the slow speed adjuster and controls the stiffness of the damper under normal operations. The knob on the right is the high speed adjuster and controls the dampening stiffness for those "oh shit" moments. Because I find the yz to be an incredibly stable bike, I leave the high speed turned up but usually leave the low speed turned down. 

As far as the Rekluse, some guys swear buy them...I can't say I'm a fan.

I have the scotts on my 05. The adjuster on the left is the slow speed adjuster and controls the stiffness of the damper under normal operations. The knob on the right is the high speed adjuster and controls the dampening stiffness for those "oh shit" moments. Because I find the yz to be an incredibly stable bike, I leave the high speed turned up but usually leave the low speed turned down.

As far as the Rekluse, some guys swear buy them...I can't say I'm a fan.

same here with my scotts stabalizer. I keep the low speed to where I barely notice it, and stiffen up the high speed for the times where you really need it. If you stiffen up the low speed to much, your front end will want to slide out more. Or at least that is what happens to me. And as far as the rekluse goes, I've never had one but some like them and some don't. I personally like to use and abuse my clutch, but that's just my riding style. Edited by desertbound1024

I have a Rekluse EXP in my YZ250 and it really makes its money when you ride really slow, tight, technical stuff that requires a lot of clutch work, or when you're tired. It's pretty much the ultimate anti-stall device and in my opinion makes the bike even more fun. When I first rode with it I was fairly indifferent, but desert racing with it in some pretty gnarly rock sections and stuff or really pushing yourself on a ride - I'm sold. Scotts...what can you say - one ride and it speaks for itself. Those are two excellent additions to an offroad YZ250.

• Like 1

I spent a day on a bike with a rekluse and didn't really think much of it one way or the other.  But I did find myself stalling all over the place once I got back on my bike.  Apparently in one day I got "clutch lazy"!  I guess I can see where they would be nice in the gnarly stuff, but it's not something I would spend money on.  

The Scotts has become essential for me.  If you don't think it's doing anything, run the same loop back-to-back with and without the stabilizer.  I have mount kits for all three bikes I ride regularly, and swap the stabilizer between each.  

Im actually pretty excited to go on a ride with the stabilizer and rekluse, I got to ride around my block a little bit yesterday and I think I like the feel of the Rekluse but it will be a different story when I go on an actual ride. We do a lot of single trac hill climbs with boulders and rocks, and being on a 2 stroke (especially a 125) is difficult because you have no bottom end and you have to feather the clutch while gripping the bars over rocks. I feel like Im going to like the Rekluse but im sure its going to completely screw me up when I jump back on my 125 with a regular clutch

• Like 1

Heres a pic of the bike, I got the stock tank with it but will probably leave the clarke tank since this bike will be on desert duty. Its cleaner than it looks in the pics, im going to pick up some new plastics for it and in the long term some revalving and respringing suspension wise. The owners dad was a master mechanic at a shop so the bike was maintained really well, cases split last season with new seals and bearings and everything is in spec. I cant wait to get out and ride it. Might have to sneak away from the family this weekend and do a day trip to glamis lol

2759039B-6391-4DFC-A409-3D9AEB844ABC_zps

73A66813-BCCA-40B6-B630-E22EC6F46507_zps

• Like 2

Go to Scott's Performance.com and download their damper manual. It will teach you how to adjust each setting. If you give them a call they will probably be happy to send you a paper copy.

Thanks for the heads up, I feel like I've been riding my bikes like a caveman with all these gadgets that have been out for ages that I haven't had the chance to try out yet haha. I'll get that manual asap

• Like 1

Im actually pretty excited to go on a ride with the stabilizer and rekluse, I got to ride around my block a little bit yesterday and I think I like the feel of the Rekluse but it will be a different story when I go on an actual ride. We do a lot of single trac hill climbs with boulders and rocks, and being on a 2 stroke (especially a 125) is difficult because you have no bottom end and you have to feather the clutch while gripping the bars over rocks. I feel like Im going to like the Rekluse but im sure its going to completely screw me up when I jump back on my 125 with a regular clutch

Nah, riding them is about the same, technique-wise I think. Still have to work the clutch with the Rekluse - it just helps you way down low with not stalling with some modulation if you run taller gearing. It's really a win in my opinion. I run the stock clutch in my WR and zero problems switching between bikes.
  • Like 1

Nah, riding them is about the same, technique-wise I think. Still have to work the clutch with the Rekluse - it just helps you way down low with not stalling with some modulation if you run taller gearing. It's really a win in my opinion. I run the stock clutch in my WR and zero problems switching between bikes.

Thats awesome to hear, in my head im still going to ride my 125 a lot more just because I have so much fun on it but having both a 125 and a 250 is pretty great. I was messing around with the Rekluse a bit yesterday and going into corners with no clutch and really trying to bog it down, im pretty impressed so far. Its just weird because theres no tension on the lever when your in neutral or the bikes off, it almost feels like a cable thats been stretched all the way out, but once I start riding the clutch feels fine (might need a little fine adjustment). It'll be weird to get used to not bump starting but I think overall itll be really beneficial to my riding style

If the clutch feels so much different you have the Rekluse Pro, same as me.  When going between bikes they are obviously different, so much so that I have to buy em for all my bikes now which is a negitive.  But the benefits are huge for riding tech ST or just being plain tired.  YMMV

They are not without some bad though.  Be warned if you go up a hill and cant make it, you have no tranny to hold you and you will start going backwards.  Depending on how steep the hill is even with the front brake on you will still go backwards.  If it happens to you once you will never forget it again!  LOL.  Instead since the bike wont stall you simply give it a bit of gas to keep it from going backwards.  BUT you wont NOT make too many hills with the Rekluse since they tend to put the power to the ground better. I have ridden up along side buds stuck on a hill and chuckled at them then rode off.  ?

Hopefully you got the Rekluse manual, if not go on-line and get one.  It will tell you how to do a quick check or use the provided go no go gauges.  It takes 10-15 minutes to do and easy as pie.

I have the SCOTTS for all the rocks we have here.  I THINK I have mine set at 10 out from full on.  I leave the HS at stock, never touched it and dont want to.

Have fun with the new bike!

• Like 1

If the clutch feels so much different you have the Rekluse Pro, same as me.  When going between bikes they are obviously different, so much so that I have to buy em for all my bikes now which is a negitive.  But the benefits are huge for riding tech ST or just being plain tired.  YMMV

They are not without some bad though.  Be warned if you go up a hill and cant make it, you have no tranny to hold you and you will start going backwards.  Depending on how steep the hill is even with the front brake on you will still go backwards.  If it happens to you once you will never forget it again!  LOL.  Instead since the bike wont stall you simply give it a bit of gas to keep it from going backwards.  BUT you wont NOT make too many hills with the Rekluse since they tend to put the power to the ground better. I have ridden up along side buds stuck on a hill and chuckled at them then rode off.   ?

Hopefully you got the Rekluse manual, if not go on-line and get one.  It will tell you how to do a quick check or use the provided go no go gauges.  It takes 10-15 minutes to do and easy as pie.

I have the SCOTTS for all the rocks we have here.  I THINK I have mine set at 10 out from full on.  I leave the HS at stock, never touched it and dont want to.

Have fun with the new bike!

Thanks for the heads up, and im sure I will forget the tip next time im stuck on a hill climb lol. You reminded me of something that was weird riding the bike which I forgot about, exactly what you said which is the bike free rolling in any gear. I have a feeling im going to really like this set up though. The last 05 yz 250 I had I just couldnt get it to perform right suspension wise, and it would knife in corners so bad. I really hope I can get this one figured out, im thinking about biting the bullet and having it all revalved before I even take it out.