Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

New to me 06 rmz450 popping and cutting out

Hey guys, I just got this in a trade and it ran great on the test drive, but now that it's home...I've changed the oil and checked filters and that's about it. It'll run and drive great if the "hot start" red button that's in the carb is out. If it's not out it pops and cracks and cuts out. Too rich? Too lean? Air screw is about 1.25 turns out.

check and adjust your valves

Check your air box/replace air filter

clean your carb

make sure you're using fresh quality fuel

check your cam chain tensioner (prob not your problem, but you want to regularly check this anyways)

Edited by M.r.T.

I have an 06 also.

Do all the things suggested above first.

If problems continue, take the carb completely apart.  And I mean completely!  Soak if overnight, blow air thru it, make very sure all air passages are open.  I now run only non ethanol and drain the tank and carb after I ride.  I think sitting in my garage (not temp or humidity controlled) is part of the problem.   Its the only way I can keep from snatching the carb off before every ride. 

Good luck

CR23

Oil drain is on the bottom, left side of the engine.  There is an internal "screen" but you can't access unless you split the cases.    I think its behind the hole where the oil filter sits.   Not sure if there is another internal screen at the bottom of the cases, but again, you have to split them to get to it.   I wouldn't worry about either unless you start seeing a lot of brass / steel slivers in the filter when you change the oil.

Is that what you're referring to? 

I also have a 06 and I had the same problem it was in the carb just one passage way had a bunch of crap in it. But if that doesn't work do all the steps above

Had the same thing happen to me on my 06, took it to the shop and had them re tune the carb. Tried to do it myself but wasn't sure if I needed to go up or Down on the jetting runs like a champ now. Won't ever take it to a shop again $450.00 just to get it re jetted.