Sign in to follow this  

Help us keep off-road racers safe!

This is a real quandary.  It seems we are always advancing in the safety gear, but people are still getting seriously hurt or dying.  Caselli was wearing a top of the line helmet, he died of head injuries.  Mika Musquin was paralyzed, he was wearing a Leatt neck brace.  I'm not sure we can do any more than we are already doing short of wrapping riders in giant gobs of bubble wrap.  But, it is still wise to support ANY efforts out there to make riding, whether it be recreational or racing, safer for everyone involved.  I'd like some specifics on what the foundation is working towards.

This is a real quandary.  It seems we are always advancing in the safety gear, but people are still getting seriously hurt or dying.  Caselli was wearing a top of the line helmet, he died of head injuries.  Mika Musquin was paralyzed, he was wearing a Leatt neck brace.  I'm not sure we can do any more than we are already doing short of wrapping riders in giant gobs of bubble wrap.  But, it is still wise to support ANY efforts out there to make riding, whether it be recreational or racing, safer for everyone involved.  I'd like some specifics on what the foundation is working towards.

I think if you take the time to read all the stuff in the links Bryan posted, you'll find out. It is picture heavy and specifics are sprinkled about. Obviously a fan built web site and not some slick 'sham-wow' presentation. Take the time to go through it. Some pretty good things are being done. Keep in mind too, prior to this, there was little organized effort to take a look at a lot of the risks in off road racing and that many could be minimized or even eliminated. This is the beginning of a effort similar to that Kenny Roberts did in Road Racing back min the late 70's/early 80's.

I know when I was finally old enough to race cars, extensive efforts had been made in the preceding five years that changed the news on races. No longer was the question 'who won and who died' but 'who won and who came in second.' No matter what is done, injuries will happen. Even just getting into the shower. The only way you can tell if the efforts to reduce them are working is to see a reduction in numbers of trauma and riders as a percentage per 1,000 riders and 1,000 miles.

William, I've read it all and like I said, I fully support the efforts.  But, it seems we are at an impasse when it comes to stopping the carnage, its kind of like land use issues, its a very steep uphill battle. ;)

William, I've read it all and like I said, I fully support the efforts.  But, it seems we are at an impasse when it comes to stopping the carnage, its kind of like land use issues, its a very steep uphill battle. ;)

In other words, the low hanging fruit safety fruit has been picked. I'd agree with that. So, what's left is difficult and incremental. None-the-less, have to keep pushing. Thanks for your support. :thumbsup:

I think a lot of the 'carnage' you talk of is often the inexperienced rider, full of adrenaline and the feeling of invincibility. I see them here on TT every day, proud of broken bones, only wanting to do tricks and go faster today, no desire to master the control of the bike. Youthful bravado. Often the only cure is serious injury or old age.

I had terrific mentors when I was young. More than half of my practice time was riding as slow as I could, hitting marks. When I raced, it was not about passing the guy in front, it was about riding 'perfectly'. If there was a rider (or driver) in the way, I passed them. I ran my own race. To do this requires a mature attitude,

Impressing this on people helps.

Teaching common safe riding concepts helps.

But it is still up to the person at the bars or steering wheel to stay in control. Some people like to 'live on the edge' and everything is a 'save'. Until they fail miserably. That hurts us all. You cannot fix stupid

A guy like Kurt, might of been able to be saved. Had someone found him. Had he been able to activate his SPOT. Had other riders been looking for the tell tale signs of a crash. A bunch of other stuff that can be discovered' by looking at a race or rider or machine and try to look for fault. Years ago, I ran the PAS (Post Accident Scrutineering) for the Norther NJ region of the SCCA. My job was to look for problems with cars and tracks and identify dangers and force 'fixes'. Some listened and I am positive less injuries came from it. Some flat out refused and had life altering results. Look at Dale Earnhardt Sr. That guy was begging to get seriously hurt. You cannot fix stupid.

Maybe a lot of effort will be expended and only save a handful of guys. A few is better than none.

Racing will never be safe. We might be able to make it safer. Off road riding should be 100% safe and the only reason it is not is because of carelessness. Trees do not jump out of the ground in front of you. Though it may seem like it.

• Like 1

Willism, it may not be stupid so much as stubbornness sometimes. Case in point, yours truly. I've had a couple of bad wrecks in the past year or so, and I can attribute that to this old fart refusing to see he's getting older. Hopefully I've learned my lesson. But, the younger riders need to ride within their limitations, or they won't be around to become stubborn old farts. In all my years of riding I never had more than a couple of scrapes, and that includes a number of years on fast street bikes.

Do you have the intrest of off-roaders "backs"  CJ? If so i applaud your efforts!

I just wish there was more we could do.  I spent many years professionally fighting the land use battles and eventually got burned out.  Any cause worth fighting and working for is a tough road.

• Like 1

Come on folks! Every dollar donated costs ThumperTalk the same, so make us get out our checkbook! No donation amount is too small! Honestly, I'd rather see many, many small donations vs. a few large ones. Help us write the Caselli Foundation a big check!

Come on folks! Every dollar donated costs ThumperTalk the same, so make us get out our checkbook! No donation amount is too small! Honestly, I'd rather see many, many small donations vs. a few large ones. Help us write the Caselli Foundation a big check!

Just donated.  I couldn't afford much right now, but if everyone makes a small donation we will be well over your goal in no time. :thumbsup:

Just donated.  I couldn't afford much right now, but if everyone makes a small donation we will be well over your goal in no time. :thumbsup:

Thanks man! Any and all donations matter! And, I want you guys to make me chip in my $500.00. Stick it to us! :ride: