Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki DR-Z 400E Fuel Spill

I recently had my 2010 DR-Z 400E in storage for eight (8) months, and I had prepared the bike for storage according to the Owner's Manual (drain tank & carb, disconnect battery, etc.).

When preparing to start the bike again recently - after being stored for the eight months - and as I was busy filling the tank, I suddenly noticed fuel spilling on the garage floor.

It was NOT the tank overflowing, nor did any fuel come from the number of hoses on the FCR flat slide carb.

To this day I have no idea where the spilled fuel came from - it appeared that it was running along the float bowl join/gasket, from somewhere behind the carburettor (on the air box side).

The GOOD news is: the fuel leak gradually reduced until it stopped leaking altogether. Since that day, it has not leaked again.

The BAD news is: I have no clue where the fuel leaked from!

Could it be that the float was stuck with the fuel inlet open after such lengthy storage, and that (some) fuel could have leaked into the crankcase (through the intake and cylinder)? If so, why did I notice fuel on the outside of the carburettor?

I could not smell any significant fuel in the oil, either.

Where could the fuel have leaked from?

I have repeatedly tried to figure out where the fuel could have leaked from, but to no avail.

DO YOU PERHAPS HAVE AN IDEA WHERE THAT FUEL LEAK COULD HAVE ORIGINATED FROM?

Should I be concerned?

When I bought my '03 E, it had sat for a few years prior, when I turned the petcock to the ON position, fuel started leaking from the carbs overflow hose. I thought it might eventually stop on it's own with some use, but it didn't. I ended up just disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and spraying carb cleaner in the small metal tube that the fuel line came off of, thus cleaning the float needle and seat. I did this after draining the float bowl 

The E model unlike most S models has a high fuel level drain from the carb.  The black rubber hose from the bottom of the carb.  It will spill fuel if the float valve does not shout off.  Gas goes out the drain not into the motor.  Often a tap on the float bowl when filling a dry carb will cure the problem.  Not uncommon. Not a problem if there is currently no leak. Back before environmental regs, all carbs had a drain for just this purpose.

Thanks Guys for the useful comments :thumbsup:  .

The only puzzling thing was: it appeared that the fuel was actually flowing along the float bowl ~ carburettor join (please see attached annotated photo). I did not notice any fuel flowing from any of the hoses???

P1030908(3).jpg

It is certainly possible it was the bowl gasket.  Gaskets (rubber seals) dry out and shrink, and some times swell back up and seal when fuel is introduced.

dunno if the slant body for uses o rings on the inlet like the fact 's does, but if it does they will fail I time also. Should be easy to tell if it's leaking from above the bowl

It is certainly possible it was the bowl gasket.  Gaskets (rubber seals) dry out and shrink, and some times swell back up and seal when fuel is introduced.

That was my first thought also Noble, however I was not sure if that was possible "Gaskets (rubber seals) dry out and shrink, and some times swell back up ...".

The only reason why I discarded that possibility was because there was quite a bit fuel pouring out, reducing to a trickle and eventually stopping.

Is that possible (substantial leaking, not just weeping)?

If that was the case, the problem has ceased, as I haven't noticed any further fuel weeping or leaking :thumbsup:  .

Yes, it is possible.  

I have a 1980 Suzuki GS1000G.  When I take it out of storage and put gas in it, I turn the petcock to PRI to fill the 4 carbs.  1 or more leak like crazy, I turn the petcock to ON (not running fuel is off) wait 1/2 hr, turn the petcock to PRI again - no leak.  I replaced the bowl gaskets (paper gaskets) that did not solve the problem.  There is a rubber washer like an O ring in each carb. I will try replacing that next.  But really, if I rode it every day, it would never be a problem.

Thanks for your latest post Noble, that sounds like the problem I had. I am still surprised at the initial amount of fuel that spilled! I suppose the good news is that the leak stopped :-) . I trust that you get the issue on your GS sorted.