Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400S carb issue driving me nutz; Any suggestions?

DRZ 400s 3x3 mod 155 mj, 25pj, JD needle 3rd clip,  extended fuel mix screw, all CA evap removed.

Had gas in the cylinder replaced float valve and needle, drained oil and replaced spark plug. Would only run with choke, dies when throttle applied. Removed card rebuilt line by line per Suzuki manual. Same issue, if I tinker with the fuel mix screw I can get it to idle but floods out when throttle is applied. All jets are clean I have two of each jet nothing helps. Adjusted float height no help was near dead on. Thinking it's a vacuum leak but the diaphragm is in good shape. Any suggestions?

Spacers on the slide needle in the correct order?

Float level set with the float touching but not depressing the spring loaded needle tip?

Canister purge line nipple sealed off?

Vacuum line to the petcock connected?

Small O ring under the top cap in place?

You say it only runs with the choke on but "floods" out when throttle is applied.  Those symptoms seem mutually exclusive.  Running with choke on is a symptom of the pilot get being plugged.  Flooding out is a symptom of too much fuel - high float level, gasoline contaminated crankcase oil,  needle not retained in the slide, pilot jet missing, choke not closing...............

Spacers on the slide needle in the correct order?

Float level set with the float touching but not depressing the spring loaded needle tip?

Canister purge line nipple sealed off?

Vacuum line to the petcock connected?

Small O ring under the top cap in place?

You say it only runs with the choke on but "floods" out when throttle is applied.  Those symptoms seem mutually exclusive.  Running with choke on is a symptom of the pilot get being plugged.  Flooding out is a symptom of too much fuel - high float level, gasoline contaminated crankcase oil,  needle not retained in the slide, pilot jet missing, choke not closing...............

Spacers are correct, Float level at 13mm, Canister purge line nipple open, vacuum line connected, small o-ring in place

you say you changed the oil but what all has transpired since then .. thats what mine was doing when it had about a gallon of gas in the crank case ..

replaced spark plug and been trying to get to run oil is clean and fresh

The canister purge nipple on the carb should be sealed.  The vent nipple on the under side of the gas tanks should be open.  Usually a hose running down under the motorcycle is a good ideal in case any gas dribbles out.