California Bike without a Title possible?

Hey guys, 

I am helping my girlfriend buy a bike and she found a 250sxf in Elsinore for a decent deal but the ad said that the owner doesnt have a pink slip because he only used it on a track's private property. To my knowledge in Arizona it is impossible to get a bike new without receiving a title. Is it possible to get a new bike without the title in California or is this ad fishy? 

Any help you guys have is appreciated.

Kevin

Get the VIN # and call the DMV. They let you know what's going on with it, but won't give you any personnel information. Could be the owner still owes and a lender still has the pink or there is a lien on the bike for some reason.

• Like 1

KTMs don't usually come with a tittle, they come with an MSO which the owner has to turn into a tittle. Whatever the owner is calling a "pink slip" is beyond me.

No, it wont be sold new without a pink but you can get it registered still, I have. All you do is go to dmv and get a form, schedule an appointment with chp to run/confirm the vin, and then go back and get a title. Just make damn sure it is not stolen and make sure there are no backfees. 

Im selling an ltr 450 that I brought back with me from out of state without a title so im about to go through this process again but I also found a place that will apparently title it for you for like $200 and it super simple (never used them personally).  CARS (California Auto Registration Service)- 951 694 4331

The key with the dmv is that if the person behind the counter denies you and says you cant title it just turn come back and try with someone else. Its basically discretionary. I have been told that I absolutely cannot title it and there is no way and then got in the car driven a half hour and gotten the same bike titled at a different dmv (knock on wood maybe I was lucky).

Edited by txmxer
  • Like 1

The key with the dmv is that if the person behind the counter denies you and says you cant title it just turn come back and try with someone else. Its basically discretionary. I have been told that I absolutely cannot title it and there is no way and then got in the car driven a half hour and gotten the same bike titled at a different dmv (knock on wood maybe I was lucky).

Yea.. results vary... I had a DMV girl that was so inflamed I tried to register a competition only bike she flagged the VIN in the DMV system as "do not register".. then proceeded to get CHP involved in how the bike was brought into CA. All from looking at the VIN. 

She was right too by the letter of the law. I sold the bike out of state.. Huge hassle..  :(

Never again for me.. I only buy bikes with a clean title. 

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 3

Is the seller the original owner?  If so, either he has the MSO or the dealership he bought it from has it.  With no MSO I'd pass on the bike.  

Yea.. results vary... I had a DMV girl that was so inflamed I tried to register a competition only bike she flagged the VIN in the DMV system as "do not register".. then proceeded to get CHP involved in how the bike was brought into CA. All from looking at the VIN. 

She was right too by the letter of the law. I sold the bike out of state.. Huge hassle..  :(

Never again for me.. I only buy bikes with a clean title. 

Wow, thats nuts that she would go to those lengths to keep you from registering it. Did you strike a nerve or was she just one of the ladies you try to avoid at the dmv lol

I will say that for my personal bikes I do try to get bikes with titles if I plan on keeping them for a long time. It has to be a good deal for me to buy without title. But it all depends on the situation. For example the quad im selling has never been registered in California so its simple. But sometimes you get these bikes that have been passed down to two or three owners and have backfees when you look up the vin, those can be difficult....

who am I kidding if its a good enough deal I would probably still consider it

• Like 1

There is always an 'excuse' for a missing title or MSO. Never a good one.

Tell the seller to get the title or MSO and call you back. Do not buy the bike and figure you'll 'get one later'.

• Like 1

Hi guys, what a pain. I got a 2005 yz450 very clean bike a great price from original owner. Hasn't been registered over 5 years. Dmv can't find any records so they sent me to chp with a letter and made me pay $125. Chp officer looked at it and said it's a closed course bike, can't get it registered for ohv. What????

Any advice would help. I'm talking to the owner he has no idea why would they say that, ge got it from the dealer in Orange County. Checking with the dealer tomorrow but it's been over 10 years, not sure if they care

Edited by Titu1982

What did you get for $125? Did the seller give you the pink? If so, they would have charged you back payments for the years the original owner failed to register it, sales tax and then they should have given you a red sticker which means (yes it's a CC bike) you CAN ride in Cal OHV parks from 10/1 thru 4/30, or 5/31 in some places.

If the seller did not give you a pink, there is paperwork you can fill out, more $$ to pay and more time wasted.

Edited by dyrtmon
  • Like 1

What did you get for $125? Did the seller give you the pink? If so, they would have charged you back payments for the years the original owner failed to register it, sales tax and then they should have given you a red sticker which means (yes it's a CC bike) you CAN ride in Cal OHV parks from 10/1 thru 4/30, or 5/31 in some places.

If the seller did not give you a pink, there is paperwork you can fill out, more $$ to pay and more time wasted.

Thank you for your reply dyrtmon,

I have the paperless paper from the previews owner, nothing wrong with that DMV said. they could not locate the bike in the system, probably hasn't been registered for over 5 years, I got this also from dmv. they proceeded with the registration , the $127 includes taxes, registration, CHP fees ....all good there. I got the recommendation letter also to go for a VIN verification to CHP. this is where all went south. I think the officer has no clue what's going on and told me it a 'Closed course only' race bike. not complaint with safety and smog regulations.  I told him it's would be a red sticker bike but nothing.

I looked up frames on ebay. they all have same stickers as mine next to the VIN: THIS MOTORCYCLE IS DESIGNED FOR CLOSED COURSE COMPETITION USE ONLY. IT DOES NOT CONFORM TO U.S.EPA MOTORCYCLE NOISE STANDARDS.

That's what confused him I bet.

Do you know where I can find the full regulation about the years you mentioned my bike would fall into and qualify for red sticker? I have the officers email, he sent me appointment confirmation for my last visit. Feel like I need to go back to him since he printed on the dmv form '' CLOSED COURSE ONLY'' in the comments. no name, signature or date.

I'm pretty sure it's him, but what should I do to make him change his mind? the bike is bone stock, original exhaust.

Thanks guys so much!

Yea, you got a CHP that exceed his task of of verifying the VIN and that it's not stolen. My Beta has the same sticker and it has a red sticker. The real crux is whether the "race" bike was ran thru CARB. Each model, each year has to apply for CARB cert. Here's the Cert -

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_nc/2005/yamaha_ofmc_un0040079_449.pdf

You need a do-over with CHP. 

• Like 1

sigh..It's obvious that the CHP occifer you spoke to has not a clue.

Go to the link Dr Kayak made (well done BTW, good doctor) and go back to the CHP and show this to them.

This isn't rocket science (except to our beloved DMfee and to whichever chippie you dealt with)..

Hopefully this will help clear things up so you don't have to chase your tail too much more..

Thank you very much! I'll keep you guys posted.

I got home a little earlier today from work, going back to dmv now to get a new referral

There's a lot more going on between the lines here.

In my experience, $$$$$$$ talks.  Even when I had an irate employee on the other side of counter everything changed when she thought she was gonna get paid.  Bottom line:  It cost more to get it registered than the vehicle was worth.

California bureaucrats.

Good Luck with your deal.  :thumbsup:

Edited by superslyko

Thank you very much! I'll keep you guys posted.

I got home a little earlier today from work, going back to dmv now to get a new referral

I don't think you need a referral.. Go on the DMV site and print out a new copy of the VIN verification form, put bike in truck, drive to the local CHP office and ask at the front desk if you can get a VIN verification. I would not whip out the CARB doc unless things start to go bad.. there is a place on the form where they mark it does not have a EPA sticker... that's fine the EPA sticker is for plated bikes.. not red sticker. 

Could just remove the "race only" sticker too.. doubt it's a legal issue. You are not modifying the VIN.. and it's a compliant VIN that matters for getting a sticker. 

Thanks DrKayak,

Just got back from DMV, talked wit a nice lady (rare) and she ripped apart the chp form and made an appointment for 8am Monday morning for vin verification here at the DMV.

She and the guy next to her mentioned that might need to go back to chp, in that case to bring the printed page I have from dmv.org regarding red sticker and separate like DrKayak mentioned the CARB doc, in case I need it

• Like 4