YFZ or Raptor

I was just asking this question not too long ago, I ended up going with the 2016 Raptor 700, I only have 5 hours on it, but I like it a lot, I got the raptor over the yfz for many reasons. The first reason is the 700 requires a lot less maintainence. The 700 also does not need to be revved quite as hard as the yfz, the yfz's like being up in the high rpms, almost like 2 strokes. Most people say the 450 is faster stock, but both of them fly, my stock 700 runs right with my buddy's banshee that is piped. I'm assuming by your username you also have a wr450, so you are probably used to maintaining a high strung engine so you might want to get the yfz. I also have a wr, which is why I decided to go with the raptor, from what I have seen so far, and from what I researched prior to purchasing mine, these things are like a powerful 400ex, they are pretty much bulletproof, so other than oil changes and a once or twice a year valve check, they are just turn key and go.

The 660's were the top heavy tippy feeling bikes. Also the 2016 redesigned the head with only one exhaust port and delivers more HP than the older 700's. Save some money, buy a used one and drop some dough into great mods and hang on. 700's also have reverse. I wouldn't have it any other way. My wife's is bone stock and fun, mine is a 6 modded screamer.....both fun as heck!

What about wheel spacers?  I noticed some that will lengthen the track width

a little over an inch for each side.  What about something like that?

Really cheap fix, but they don't make too much of a difference, are you mainly trail riding with it or what? Because I think the stock setup is fine for that, you'd have to ride it and see if you like how it feels first I guess.

The 660's were the top heavy tippy feeling bikes. Also the 2016 redesigned the head with only one exhaust port and delivers more HP than the older 700's. Save some money, buy a used one and drop some dough into great mods and hang on. 700's also have reverse. I wouldn't have it any other way. My wife's is bone stock and fun, mine is a 6 modded screamer.....both fun as heck!

Just curious, what are the big 6? I've only ever heard of the big 3. My 2016 is all stock, but I kind of want to keep it that way for reliability, this is my first brand new bike so I want it to last.

Just light trail riding here and there.  Just a garage queen really lol.  I just think it looks cooler with

a wide ass stance.

Wheels spacers won't get the stance all that much wider, you are going to want extended A-arms and an extended axle for that.

Just curious, what are the big 6? I've only ever heard of the big 3. My 2016 is all stock, but I kind of want to keep it that way for reliability, this is my first brand new bike so I want it to last.

Wheels spacers won't get the stance all that much wider, you are going to want extended A-arms and an extended axle for that.

You start with what's called the Big 3 (3 mod) - exhaust, intake, programmer

I have also added high compression piston, porting the head, bigger cam, bigger throttle body.

In essence it's a 7 mod bike, lol. Whatever you want to call it.....I call it fun.

Did you replace your piston due to it getting destroyed, or did you just want more HP? Just kind of curious about how many hours you got out of your stock piston/ rings.

I replaced piston just for more HP. In stock form with minimal maintenance these will last quite a while. Like with any bike when you start bouncing off the rev limiter, then you will see trouble sooner than later.

I replaced piston just for more HP. In stock form with minimal maintenance these will last quite a while. Like with any bike when you start bouncing off the rev limiter, then you will see trouble sooner than later.

I've actually found that they are faster quick shifting them than they are when you redline them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 05 raptor 660 I just bought it the guy said he loosened the top of the motor and looked inside and the timing chain was broke. He also told me that he wasnt a machanic and he didnt want the headache of rebuilding the motor he took the carbs apart and put them in a shoebox and drained the oil. Any advice out there on what approach I should take also does anyonw have the repair manual save a guy a few bucks

I have a 05 raptor 660 I just bought it the guy said he loosened the top of the motor and looked inside and the timing chain was broke. He also told me that he wasnt a machanic and he didnt want the headache of rebuilding the motor he took the carbs apart and put them in a shoebox and drained the oil. Any advice out there on what approach I should take also does anyonw have the repair manual save a guy a few bucks

Sent you a pm...