Sign in to follow this  

What the hell is with gas cans now?

is your username from hadfield maine like haddys mud pit?

Nope I'm the Philadelphia Hadfield's transplanted to SW VA.  So we're now the SWVA Hadfield's, not to be confused with the Hatfields of West (By God) Virginia!

Nope I'm the Philadelphia Hadfield's transplanted to SW VA. So we're now the SWVA Hadfield's, not to be confused with the Hatfields of West (By God) Virginia!

ah, to bad your not in Hatfield's maine, most popular pit in new england

I use one of the new 5 gallon gas cans...though it has been specially modified. Drilled a hole and fitted a tire valve stem with the core removed. Gas flows nicely for under $10.

• Like 2

ah, to bad your not in Hatfield's maine, most popular pit in new england

And to think I missed out on all that fame and fortune!

• Like 1

I use one of the new 5 gallon gas cans...though it has been specially modified. Drilled a hole and fitted a tire valve stem with the core removed. Gas flows nicely for under $10.

We've done this and used the stem cap to stop the air flow when needed.  We use a string to the valve stem through.

I have yet to use a MX type can. 

Wait, are you saying that if you do not use current epa gas cans you are voiding your homeowners insurance? 

Joe

Yes sir last year my mothers insurance company would not renew her house insurance because of one of my dirtbikes and the VP can next to it in the basement/shop.

Also A couple years ago landscaper friend got pulled over by DOT right in front of us and gave him 100 dollars per old can he had...450 fine for 4cans and a cracked tail light. Not saying they are hunting for them and most don't know any better, but that is 2 personal instances, I have had with old cans causeing a problem. Just a heads up

Yes sir last year my mothers insurance company would not renew her house insurance because of one of my dirtbikes and the VP can next to it in the basement/shop.

Also A couple years ago landscaper friend got pulled over by DOT right in front of us and gave him 100 dollars per old can he had...450 fine for 4cans and a cracked tail light. Not saying they are hunting for them and most don't know any better, but that is 2 personal instances, I have had with old cans causeing a problem. Just a heads up

Sounds like he was driving a commercial vehicle. They play by a different set of rules.

Is this a Massachusetts thing? I've never seen or heard of this happening down here but I'd hate to be the victim of that. 

I picked up one of these a while back at cyclegear. Just shove the spout in the tank and it releases a flood of gas. The weight of the can opens it. It stops when the tank is full. No cap to mess with and it doesn't spill. Fillups are pretty quick. Not cheap at $40 and can't use it in a car since the diameter is about the size of the fill hole in the tank. I had bought it to use with a two stroke I picked up and I didn't want the gas can to match my other ones or I probably wouldn't have picked it up.

21.6360.jpg

• Like 2

Another poster blamed Obama....

No it was CARB, we have dealt with this shit for years

As much as I dislike him, I also dislike blaming everything wrong with government on him too. BTW these stupid gas cans have been around since at least the early 2000s, and I haven't heard anyone blame "W".

I thought the idea behind the new type was to make them idiot proof, but that's a war that can't be won. The race to build a better idiot never rests.

I'm still using plastic cans from the early nineties, and I've figured when they finally fail I'll get NATO Jerry cans, but its good to see there are other options.

Edited by HappyAndy

Alot of manufacturers label the old plastic gas cans as utility cans. One way to get around the EPA. The one thing in California is you are not allowed to transport your gas can with a hose attached unless it has a shut off valve attached.

Lol, I doubt the CHP is on high alert for that.

• Like 1

That's crazy, must be some tight budgets they need the money for. It's not like they don't have anything better to do.