Left over 2014 yz250.. How much should I pay?

Hello YZingers,

I have decided after 27 years as a Honda rider that I'm letting my Tom Morgan CR265 go for a new YZ.

I'm looking at left over '14's and the dealers have let me know that they have several in their warehouse.

Had them run the numbers on one and they still want $6800 OTD.  That seems crazy to me since I know a few guys that bought '15 Kx450F's at the beginning of the year for $7300 OTD.

Bike is 2 years old now I was thinking more like $6k OTD? 

Anybody willing to share what they paid?

Looking forward to riding on some new suspension!

Thanks!

Edited by MotoGuido

This is in California.

I just left the dealer now. The one I was in only had a '15 and '16.

They started at $7500 Otd on the '15 and the lowest I could get them was $7200 after a TON of haggling!

So I left without it.

I just don't get how people get these deals. Do I need to be an all cash deal to get that kinda bargain?

As for the guys saying pick up a used one, I'm pretty burnt on projects right now never owned a new bike in almost 30 years of riding.

This is in California.

They started at $7500 Otd on the '15 and the lowest I could get them was $7200 after a TON of haggling!

So I left without it.

I just don't get how people get these deals. Do I need to be an all cash deal to get that kinda bargain?

As for the guys saying pick up a used one, I'm pretty burnt on projects right now never owned a new bike in almost 30 years of riding.

No, that's what they go for in California. I bought a 15 for 7300 otd cash. I shopped several dealers in the Bay area and Central Valley. Few even had them. I did find a 14 for 6500 otd in Roseville.
  • Like 1

No, that's what they go for in California. I bought a 15 for 7300 otd cash. I shopped several dealers in the Bay area and Central Valley. Few even had them. I did find a 14 for 6500 otd in Roseville.

Okay that's encouraging then. Really at 6800 then the 14 really isn't worth the trouble to me. Edited by MotoGuido

California is a funky state to say the least in left over bikes. The dealer just needs to realize that the money they have in the bike is going to be break even if its two years old already. There are dealers that are hold outs though, they are not loosing money if the bike just sits waiting for the impuls buyer out there that will give them the satifaction of paying more.

Seriously, anything under 10G's is a crap shoot on pricing. 7,200 otd for a new one, and 6,500 for a new one two years old? What's the 700 bucks.. the difference between cash and finance? I wouldn't finance a two year old bike, if you can't own it outright under 10G's, you don't need it..

Cash doesn't mean a thing to a dealer because they make money off selling the loan to the bank. I always thought thought they would like cash better too but nope!

Wrong dealer. The one I buy new bikes from gives me a better price on cash. Even the last 5 cars a bought new (internet sales) was a better deal than the last one I finance. They are getting the money now, knowing they will not ever have to repo it. Now lease it and they lick thier chops...

California is a funky state to say the least in left over bikes. The dealer just needs to realize that the money they have in the bike is going to be break even if its two years old already. There are dealers that are hold outs though, they are not loosing money if the bike just sits waiting for the impuls buyer out there that will give them the satifaction of paying more.

Seriously, anything under 10G's is a crap shoot on pricing. 7,200 otd for a new one, and 6,500 for a new one two years old? What's the 700 bucks.. the difference between cash and finance? I wouldn't finance a two year old bike, if you can't own it outright under 10G's, you don't need it..

Thanks for the perspective. I agree with you to a point on the under 10g's thing I would only finance a portion of it to give me a chance to fix and sell my current bike and a few other machines I have. Right now I have nothing to ride at the moment.

• Like 1

There is not a lot of dealer kick backs on the YZ250s right now.  MSRP is 7298 or something.  They are offering some good financing and 200 customer cash back.

Plus you have to remember in California Tax is as high as 10%.

If you are getting 7K out the door in California that is almost a 1K discount and not bad.  There are not a bunch of leftovers right now.

You see the really smoking prices on bikes when too many are imported and they have to give dealers incentives to move them.

• Like 1

Thats nuts for a leftover imo, even $6500 would be decent. But if it were me I would probably be buying a husqvarna 250 brand new, they have good deals on new bikes for the huskys. This is coming from someone who just picked up a yz 250 and I've always been a yamaha 2 stroke guy but I will say my husky 125 is the funnest bike Ive had and best suspension out of the box. I was very impressed with husky, but anyway you want a yz and I dont blame you, they're great bikes. I wouldnt pay 7,000 though personally! Good luck!

This is in California.

So I left without it.

Certain dealers MOVE bikes.  We have a KTM dealer here that sells bunches of them at great prices.  Yammie probably has dealers doing the same thing too, just got to look for them.  Also if your in a club that normally gets you a discount as well, add in a good relationship with them and it likely adds to an even better deal.

I get the project comment for sure.  I found what I thought was a like new 06 yz250 and it had all the normal things wrong with it but this site is a HUGE help in being very efficient in getting things done.  I hate working on bikes but must admit it has been fun going thru it.  Top steering race replaced, swingarm bolt, orings in carb, pipe fixed, springs and valving.  I think I put in 500 total for stuff I needed and didnt need and paid 2500 for the bike.  YZ's are neat since they havent changed much and work about as well as the new ones.

Having said that, 30 years without a new bike is too long.  You only live once and buying new is a great experience.