Why do people use mx bikes in the woods?

No offence Intended. I say this with good Intentions ;) . Couldn't really see in the 2nd video, nice tracks BTW. But, in the 1st vid you were sitting down way too much :naughty: .

You will have more bike control and endurance if you stand more. You'll be faster as well, although it won't feel that way.

If you're sitting the bike will just beat the shit out of you all day long, you can see further down the trail when standing as well, which is a lot safer as well as faster. But,as I said, and most Importantly, better bike control  ;) .

If you're not used to standing it will take some time to get used to it, you will have to force yourself at first. Use your legs as suspension and get in rhythm with the bike.

When standing and cornering. Dig your knee into the outside corenr side of the tank and push down on the outside foot peg for grip.

For practice, do really slow circles. standing up and in 2nd gear, no feet dabs on the ground, using only clutch and brakes to stay up, then do figure 8's. Sounds like childs play, but is good practice for balance.

Hope you take that as Intended  :thumbsup: .

Not offended but humored  :thumbsup:

I don't know if you noticed my sig but I have raced expert or "A" class for many years. Never any wins but my share of podiums including one in the Canadian Enduro Championships..

My moto is sit if you can, stand if you have to. MX I only sit in corners. But offroad I will sit when I can. I am also big on sitting on big hillclimbs unless they are rough. Better weight control fore and aft. Downhills on the other hand I always stand.

That first vid is one big hill climb, hard to see the angle with the gopro, but believe me it's a good long climb.

• Like 3

Not offended but humored  :thumbsup:

I don't know if you noticed my sig but I have raced expert or "A" class for many years. Never any wins but my share of podiums including one in the Canadian Enduro Championships..

My moto is sit if you can, stand if you have to. MX I only sit in corners. But offroad I will sit when I can. I am also big on sitting on big hillclimbs unless they are rough. Better weight control fore and aft. Downhills on the other hand I always stand.

That first vid is one big hill climb, hard to see the angle with the gopro, but believe me it's a good long climb.

No. I didn't notice  :facepalm:  :lol: . But. Can't help but wonder if you might have won a race if you stood up more :devil: .

I did notice the uphill. I also noticed you wobble off the actual track a couple of times. That would not have happened if you were standing. That my A-grade friend, is time lost  ;) .

BTW. I was a sit down rider from 4 to about 33. I also crossed over from MX. Always ridden off road, and always been better at that than MX, but my mates wouldn't race off road. No fun on your own IMO.

Edited by AddictedToBling

No. I didn't notice  :facepalm:  :lol: . But. Can't help but wonder if you might have won a race if you stood up more :devil: .

I did notice the uphill. I also noticed you wobble off the actual track a couple of times. That would not have happened if you were standing. That my A-grade friend, is time lost  ;) .

BTW. I was a sit down rider from 4 to about 33. I also crossed over from MX. Always ridden off road, and always been better at that than MX, but my mates wouldn't race off road. No fun on your own IMO.

Well I'm old school, I am almost 50. I learned in my teens, in the days when you only stood when you jumped.

Besides I'm too lazy to stand for a 3hr race  :lol:

• Like 3

Well I'm old school, I am almost 50. I learned in my teens, in the days when you only stood when you jumped.

Besides I'm too lazy to stand for a 3hr race  :lol:

64yr old taught me to stand when I was 33  :lol: . You can teach an old dog new tricks :thumbsup: . We used to ride alll day, 8;00am until dark.

Seriously. At your age (I'm 44) you keep sitting and you'll damage your prostate and kidneys. I don't know how you don't go home pissing blood. I used to :facepalm: .

I still sit, just stand more.

Not offended but humored :thumbsup:

Ya, why you so slow!?

• Like 1

Well some guys specifically buy mx bikes for the woods its weird

Most have said enough on this subject and pretty much on target.. It also depends on the type of terrain you are riding. An mx bike can work good modded a little for lots of applications. I rode an 01 cr 250 for over a decade and modded till it worked as well as it could be.. but then I ran into what was left that the right purpose built enduro bike would fulfill. .. My cr worked great..I could be still riding it but I just knew there were bikes that were better and I would enjoy more. I surely got my bang for my buck on my cr.. I might have spent 8k on the high end form something like 13 yrs of riding.. It was tricked out and loaded with mods.. but my Beta 300 rr is just way better on a whole lot of levels.. more versatile... estart that works.. turns.. handles unreal..smooth broad powerband that's linear and has hit when I want it but lugs everywhere.. looks good and really just a great bike. No one has to have a specific enduro bike for woods.. but for me and where I ride my bike is way better than my modded mx bike.. In my case it's worth the money. I raced since I was young... mx and hare and hounds and lots of stuff and now i just made 56.. so i know more of what I want and don't want since I've had a flock of bikes for many years.  I mean some of us are even good with riding vintage enduro bikes.. old it 200's and kdx200's or anything else.. but some also figure it's worth it to just get the best for what kind of riding they are doing. I have an 82' 430 cr that I will ride a bit when it's done.. just for fun.. but my best everything bike is my 300 rr. I just raced yesterday in a sprint enduro..here and I had a blast.. I'm hurting right now but I had fun . This was a new format of racing for us. You qualify in times for a main event .. Anyway here is a little of the qualifying.. and estart and 6 speed and a 300 in a 2 stroke is where it's at for here... Maybe for somewhere else a regular mx bike would be better. For us this sort of race is a wide open type trail race which is much faster than our regular races that are more technical and harder. Actually for this race a modded 2 stroke mx would be decent.. I still would like my bike better.. but that's just anyones choice. I think if those that rode different kinds of bikes had a choice they would go more toward the purpose built bikes.. but as long as each is happy with what they ride is much more important.

I really had so much fun..and I'm paying for it in pain right now..but it was worth it.. Here is the main. I was toying with just letting everyone go on the start..but charged the start last minute.. I didn't think I'd do well enough to last physically but surprised myself.. and did better than I thought. This is just the start and a little bit of the lap.. I think a lap was anywhere from 45 min to an hour ish..We did 2 for the qualifying time in the morning and 2 for the main after lunch.. I think my better bike had a lot to do with how I rode and how much fun I had.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

And really IMO we are living in a time with incredible off road bike options .

I'm not sure if this is classified as a MX bike but my buddy just picked up a 2016 KTM 150SX and this thing is an awesome woods bike

I'd kill for a 2016 KTM 150SX  :thumbsup: . ST weapon!  

Mr Hawaii. Imagine the 150 through those tracks in your vid. SIC!

I'd kill for a 2016 KTM 150SX  :thumbsup: . ST weapon!  

We have'm.. They are ok.. especially in a race without many hills but I'd rather have my 300 anyday. .. at least a 250.. maybe if I was smaller..lighter.. even then the estart.. the lugging power.. the 6th gear..  The uphills and short no runway ledges etc going uphill..a 125 is a disadvantage. .. The track shown in the vid would be pretty good though.. nothing like that in that race. ..or less at least. I was thinking an xtrainer might be a good ticket.. maybe work on the suspension a little and maybe a pipe.. that's a smaller overall sized chassis and a detuned 300.. That would be fun.. but whatever works..'In the race yesterda in the Main ....I crashed about 40 ft from the finish line.. a track worker wasn't looking and i jumped a log and he walked right into my path..i landed on him and I crashed.. there was a friend right behind me... a rider a lot smaller than me on a 125.. ktm I think that was behind me and in my 45 plus class.. ..he passed me when i crashed and came in first. I got up started my bike after a couple guys passed and I got second. .. so whatever works I guess..but I know for me I'm loving my bike more than anything else out there. I was kind of dazed going back to my bike. ..just touched the button and i was moving forward and finishing. If I had to kick guaranty there would be a bunch more riders passing me until I got going again.. even if it might only have been a 125.

Awesome Video Hawaii and great riding! You guys have some amazing trails over there. Makes me want to get out on the bike, but im stuck waiting for parts :(

• Like 1

Awesome Video Hawaii and great riding! You guys have some amazing trails over there. Makes me want to get out on the bike, but im stuck waiting for parts :(

Yea thanks!.. really I felt like a kid out there.. it was such a beautiful day.. everything worked out nice.. nice people.. nice ride.. fun.. I didn't get hurt.. my bike didn't break.. it just turned out to be a great day and I'm so thankful .. gotta remember the good days..I'm still on a high on how good the day was..

• Like 3

My RM250 woods bike. Works just fine  :thumbsup:

Totally amazing trails, especially the second vid, thankyou for sharing.

Nothing wrong with the riding I see there, LOL.

• Like 1

I'd kill for a 2016 KTM 150SX :thumbsup: . ST weapon!

Got one,been running 144s for three years. Husky and KTM'S.

Totally amazing trails, especially the second vid, thankyou for sharing.

Nothing wrong with the riding I see there, LOL.

Didn't say there was :naughty: . Just a suggestion on how he can Imrpove. And, a well intended suggestion ;) .  I'd be happy if it was the other way around. Even at my age young Bushy,  I'm always open on ways of Improving my riding. Makes riding more enjoyable.

Being able to see his knees just made it stand out a lot.

Sheesh, cop shit when I'm taking the piss and trying to help  :lol: . Takes more effort to be nice.

• Like 1

Didn't say there was :naughty: . Just a suggestion on how he can Imrpove. And, a well intended suggestion ;) .  I'd be happy if it was the other way around. Even at my age young Bushy,  I'm always open on ways of Improving my riding. Makes riding more enjoyable.

Whoops forgot to put the first part of my post in. I cant say I'd do better than he. Looks like I need to put switchbacks and tight turns on the uphill on my practice track. Looks the goods and I see them on a lot of vids in BC, Colorado etc.

Edited by BushPig

I see a lot of people run mx bikes in the woods and it just makes my brain go nuts, I thought there was a huge transmission difference and suspension difference. Which there is correct right, what are the pros of each transmission, and why do people run them on herescrambles or enduro. I just need some info here.

Must be nice having a different bike for every type of riding you want to do. ;)

Well seeing that I'm getting harassed by the "sitting" police....

Here's some standing for you. Like I said all depends on the terrain.

At just before 5min on the vid I get by the guy slowing me down and get some flow going.

• Like 2

Most woods racers that I know actually prefer MX bikes.  They're more versatile.  Track, woods, hill climbing.... they're all around better.  Take the 2012 and up KTM300xc for example.  Woods racers wanted the link suspension, and the non W transmission, and now the XC and XC-w are different bikes.  I know several fast guys that ride the W, but most do not.  

Well seeing that I'm getting harassed by the "sitting" police....

Here's some standing for you. Like I said all depends on the terrain.

At just before 5min on the vid I get by the guy slowing me down and get some flow going.

I'm with you.  People that insist you stand the entire time you are riding are insane.  Stand when you need to, sit and take a break when you don't need to stand.  Why on earth would you stand on a high speed fairly smooth trail or a high speed desert run?  You have knees, they bend, use them.

• Like 3

I'm with you.  People that insist you stand the entire time you are riding are insane.  Stand when you need to, sit and take a break when you don't need to stand.  Why on earth would you stand on a high speed fairly smooth trail or a high speed desert run?  You have knees, they bend, use them.

I sit more than I stand but that is changing. When I started riding again after a 4 year break my legs couldn't take standing for long. A year later I would say I'm now 70% sit 30% stand. I don't see myself standing much more than that.

If I wanted to stand all the time I would have bought a trials bike.

• Like 3