Sign in to follow this  

Fork clicker hard to turn

Someone know what would make the Fork compression clicker hard to turn? Last time I rode I noticed when I went to change the clicker setting a little softer .....I took my screwdriver to turn the comp out a few clicks and when I went to turn the clicker it was like it was jammed or something. But after a click or two it was ok for the most part.....but still not as smooth as the other one.

It's on a 2015 YZ 250 2-stroke and on the caliper side fork tube. It still has the same clicks as the other one and will turn all the way out and back in.....just hard to turn to begin with. Tell ya how it does....

When you start to turn it out ......it's like a screw that you have tightened real tight........like when a screw is tight and you go to unscrew it.....it snaps/pops when you break the tension.

My guess there is a spring under the clicker that pushes against the damping rod an it may be distorted somewhat.

Bike has 34 hours on it and the last time I had the forks and shock serviced was like when it had 5 hours on it and I had it revalved ....front an back.

Either the detent has been over turned at some point, or some corrosion resistance is bein felt. The balls are metal. Disassemble the comp adjusters and separate bv post from cap and let em soak overnight in penetrating oil. Then spray them out and lube with a bit (drop) of heavy gear oil. I mean a drop. Then see if it frees em up. Just like old ktm shock reb adjuster on pds shox.

I believe it may be from the screwdriver not being straight up and down when turning the clicker. I noticed when I put the screwdriver in the the slot that the screwdriver was not straight up an down due to the screwdriver hitting the engine stop wire. It is hard to get a screwdriver in a straight up an down line due to the bars right over the clickers.

When I used a dime an put it in the clicker it turned just fine. Tried the screwdriver right after the dime an it was hard to turn. Guess where the screw driver wasn't straight up an down. Guess I will need to use a dime from now on or a small screw driver bit.

So what you're saying is you fixed it, and my beer got warm from thinking and typing. That's where we are? Kool. There's more cold beer, but watch out the adjusters will mess up.

Warm beer is a travesty made worse when it is unnecessary. Pistols at twenty paces! After one of my "tuners" worked on my forks the rebound clickers became very very difficult to turn in and impossible to feel the detents. Only slightly better coming out, he could not explain it nor did he fix them. Replacing them with different cartridges fixed things. Still worked crummy though.

Either the detent has been over turned at some point, or some corrosion resistance is bein felt. The balls are metal. Disassemble the comp adjusters and separate bv post from cap and let em soak overnight in penetrating oil. Then spray them out and lube with a bit (drop) of heavy gear oil. I mean a drop. Then see if it frees em up. Just like old ktm shock reb adjuster on pds shox.

Nice post. Thanks for the effort. It didn't go to waste.

I've found that leaving oil sitting in the top of a clean cap for a week or more helped a lot. And turning the clicker every few days. I used Inox oil (Aussie product) which is ok on rubber.

Lol. I was kidding. I do value a cold beer.

But its nice to remember some fixes along the way. Its corrosion most likely. We had problem in tahoe with it because of condensation from cold. Thats why pressure springs rust as well. The Ktm reb adjuster was worst , but its been fixed.

Happy holidays.

The modern ktm linkage shocks from 11 to 15 stoll have corrosion problems sadly

Anyone have a fix for a clicker that simply doesn't stop turning?

clicks smoothly without ever bottoming on a 'full hard' stop.

I have a old compression adjuster lying around in my spare parts bin that does that.

No suspension Guru's on here can figure this out or know what it could be?

Probably caused by not using the KYB oil.

Probably caused by not using the KYB oil.

I doubt it......never used the kyb in the 450's I had and they were ok.

Just turned the clickers awile ago with a screwdriver but an they turned just fine. Had to be because the driver I was using wasnt straight up an down inline with the clicker.

I doubt it......never used the kyb in the 450's I had and they were ok.

Just turned the clickers awile ago with a screwdriver but an they turned just fine. Had to be because the driver I was using wasnt straight up an down inline with the clicker.

I was just f'n with you lol