Sign in to follow this  

Shifter seal replacement tips needed

Hi all,

I am going to be taking on the task of fixing up my friend's 2004 crf80f and selling it and the oil has all leaked out from the shifter seal. I have done a little bit of research but is there anything special I have to do in order to replace it? I know that I would need to take off the shifter lever but then is it just take the old seal out and put a new one in? Do you just slide the new seal over the shift rod (not sure of the name) that comes out of the engine?

Also, on a side note would it be hard to push a bike (in neutral) if there was no oil? The back wheel had a lot of resistance to move it, so the most I moved it was a few feet.

Thanks for any suggestions and help! Hopefully I have scored a fairly easy job because I'm looking at $50-100 for fixing that a few other things.

Edited by Brandon7711

I just did this last night on my new-to-me xr100.  The procedure was pretty simple.  I drill a 1/16" hole in the seal (it is rubber over steel).  Go slow with the drill and stop the moment you break through. Then I enlarged the hole to 3/32".  I took a fine thread drywall screw and screwed it into the hole and tugged on the screw with pliers to pull the seal out.  Then I cleaned up the bore and the shaft seal area with acetone and scotchbrite.  Then you put grease on the lip of the new seal, slip it over the shaft and press or tap it into the bore flush with an appropriate sized socket. Right above the shifter is the front sprocket which has a similar seal behind it.  It wouldn't surprise me if this is the seal that is leaking on your friend's bike and it's merely running down to where the shifter shaft is. If you have to do that one, its a larger seal and the splines on the shaft are sharp.  I put a thin strip of electrical tape in groove of the shaft to keep from tearing the lip of the seal while installing it. It is the same procedure otherwise, and for the kickstart shaft seal as well.