Sign in to follow this  

KTM EXC dual sport maintenance guide

Hey guys, 

I'm looking into getting a used ktm 350 exc (or 450exc if i can't find a deal on a 350).

I've been trying to better understand what i'll be getting when looking at used bikes and what kind of cost maintenance will be over time. Pulled together this list from various forum posts and talking to some friends as the KTM manual is more race focused. 

It would be great to get your feedback on revising this and if you'd like to do your own list state the year/bike/hours/miles to go along with it!

KTM EXC MAINTENANCE 

dual sport dirt focused trail riding
hours converted to miles (x hrs X 22mph)

*15 hours or less (every other ride)
- change oil and filter (upgrade to stainless filter to clean instead of replace)
- clean air filter

*25-30 hours (every other oil change) 
-check valves and adjust if needed 
-clean 2 oil screens

70-90 hours (1,500-2000 mi)
- service suspension

100-200 hrs (2,200-4,4000 mi)
-Intake Valves 

200 hours (2,200 mi)
-Water pump seal/cam

200-400 hours (4,400-8,800mi)
-Exhaust Valves 

250-300 hours (5,500-6,600mi)
-Top end leak down test 
-other signs:power loss, little more noisy, use a little more oil, run out of valve adjustment

300-400 hours (6,600-8,800mi)
-Check rings & cylinder  (not critical failure point)

500-1000 hours (11,00-22,000mi)
-Engine Bottom End Rebuild 

270-500 hours  (6,000 - 10,000 mi)
-Countershaft splines 

*ROUTINE MAINTENANCE

I would think checking the valves every other oil change might be a tad excessive. I check mine once a year.

Your valve checks are very frequent, most of us don't check them that often.  Much of those repairs will be based on symptoms or maintenance testing such as a leak down test.  Valves don't really move an appreciable amount so their replacement would be based on the leak down and how much adjustment is left not on a time interval.

C/S splines are a simple visual check and will depend on the quality of sprockets used and the predominate riding surface the bike sees, again not a time interval.

One thing that's clear with the 500, maintenance intervals and part replacements can be somewhat frequent if the bike is ridden hard or almost non existent if it isn't.  Oil changes are the only maintenance I base on a time interval.     

• Like 1

Hey guys, 

I'm looking into getting a used ktm 350 exc (or 450exc if i can't find a deal on a 350).

I've been trying to better understand what i'll be getting when looking at used bikes and what kind of cost maintenance will be over time. Pulled together this list from various forum posts and talking to some friends as the KTM manual is more race focused. 

It would be great to get your feedback on revising this and if you'd like to do your own list state the year/bike/hours/miles to go along with it!

KTM EXC MAINTENANCE 

dual sport dirt focused trail riding 500 hours 90% off road single track and a few races.
hours converted to miles (x hrs X 22mph)

*15 hours or less (every other ride)
- change oil and filter (upgrade to stainless filter to clean instead of replace)
- clean air filter

*25-30 hours (every other oil change) 
-check valves and adjust if needed 
-clean 2 oil screens

70-90 hours (1,500-2000 mi)
- service suspension

100-200 hrs (2,200-4,4000 mi)
-Intake Valves 

200 hours (2,200 mi)
-Water pump seal/cam

200-400 hours (4,400-8,800mi)
-Exhaust Valves 

250-300 hours (5,500-6,600mi)
-Top end leak down test 
-other signs:power loss, little more noisy, use a little more oil, run out of valve adjustment

300-400 hours (6,600-8,800mi)
-Check rings & cylinder  (not critical failure point)

500-1000 hours (11,00-22,000mi)
-Engine Bottom End Rebuild 

270-500 hours  (6,000 - 10,000 mi)
-Countershaft splines 

*ROUTINE MAINTENANCE

Just sold my 2008 450exc-r at 500 hours. Great bike, no regrets.

Here was my comparison.

90% off road with a few races thrown in.

Oil changes averaged 15-20 hours

Filter every other oil change

Did not need a valve shim until almost 200 hours so I recommend

100 hours or more between checks. The newer KTM motors valves do not move

nearly as much as the old RFS. I never touched the valve train other than shims.

Piston and rings 150-200 hours

Water pump seals (both sides) would leak/replace about every 150-200 hours.

My bottom end failed and 490 hours, big end rod bearing let go (not very common I am told)

I have never had to replace a countershaft on any bike. I think I did three seal/o-ring/collar replacements and cleaned/greased a few times.

What sort of time frames for wheel, shock, pivot, and steering head bearings.....just looking at ball park estimates. I have started to doing when I have something apart checking them and adding a little gear oil to them.

Was thinking for my Moab trip in the spring, bringing a spare set of these for just in case issues while there as well as a spare chain. Not carried on the bike but left in the truck.

Edited by KAG

What sort of time frames for wheel, shock, pivot, and steering head bearings.....just looking at ball park estimates. I have started to doing when I have something apart checking them and adding a little gear oil to them.

Was thinking for my Moab trip in the spring, bringing a spare set of these for just in case issues while there as well as a spare chain. Not carried on the bike but left in the truck.

Really they should be done when bike is clean and new, so you don't DNF down the road with failed parts

The only thing I have not done is the swing arm ( I know lazy) , but I need to do the next chain replacement which is really due now

Depends on conditions, if you ride in tons of water and mud they may not last real long.  I tear down all my bikes when new and grease everything (Wheels/swingarm/steering head)- PDS joint is not supposed to be greased technically but some people do it anyway.  After the initial tear down I normally go two full seasons before greasing again pending there are no issues with the bearings that crop up, of course axles and wheels are checked each time tires and tubes are changed.