Sign in to follow this  

2016 KTM battery charging issues

Has anyone heard of this, or know what is going on?

I purchased a 2016 KTM 350 XCF-W back in August. Love the bike, runs great, just what I was looking for.

However, I recently stored it for the winter (a bit premature as we are having one hell of a good Indian Summer here in CT).

Anyway, I put a battery charger on it and parked it about a week ago. No problem. . . until yesterday.

I was motivated and tidied up my garage a bit, moving my bike in the process. When I plugged the battery tender/charger back in I noticed

that every 5 seconds or so, there was a noise (a click and something similar to a fan sound) and the speedometer/EFI display would light up

on it's own. I know that it is triggered by movement of the bike, but it does it on it's own EVERY 5 seconds (or so).

After about 2-3 seconds, the sound stops and the display turns off. Then, 5 seconds later, the whole process repeats. Over and over until

I unplug the battery charger (I have had similar results with 3 different chargers/tenders by different manufacturers).

I have since taken the charger off.

The bike starts/runs fine.

I called my local dealer and explained the situation. They are just as much at a loss as I am.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a mechanic, but if anyone has heard of this, knows what is going on, has a remedy,

or even can hazard a guess- I would greatly appreciate it!!   

-Monk

I had a similar problem with my sxf 250 - 16. It was the fuelpump relay that is located on my sxf on the side of the batterybox. The relay I believe had "hung up" and gave signal to start the fuelpump and the efi over and over again. It drained the small sxf battery over night. The part.number I replaced is 61111057000

• Like 1

i had the same problem with a 2012 250xcf-w with a battery tender brand tender. i hooked up a cheap harbor freight one and it has worked fine . still using  2012 battery  :ride:

Thanks for the information. I tried 2 different makes of battery chargers with the same results. Perhaps I need to try again. Another member mentioned that he had a similar problem which turned out to be a relay switch on the fuel pump which was "hung up" and tried to continuously restart the bike. Thanks again.

Mine did the same but from connecting the battery up in the wrong order ,the relay constantly cycling the pump

re charge the battery when it is not connected to the bike . the manual say,s . see page 95 , preparatory work . remove the negative bat cable before charging. 

Edited by speedboot

Thanks. I didn't even think about that.

I checked the manual under the "troubleshooting" section, but it never dawned on me to re-read the electrical part of the manual. Apparently, that makes too much sense.