Sign in to follow this  

2.5hrs RC valve cleaning. HUH?

I realise that if you are consistantly riding your bike in "race" conditions, you will have shorter life-spans of parts, and need more frequant maintainance. But, when I was reading through my manual (for an '03 CR250R), it recommends cleaning the flapper valves every 2.5 hrs.. To my understanding of what I glean from the manual, you have to pull the cylinder to accomplish this. Is that correct? I'm sure it's nothing for a professional race team to do this every race. However, is anyone else doing this anywhere near that frequantly? And, is it possible to do without pulling the jug?

Run a synthetic premix oil & they will stay clean for a very long time.

The powervalve system in your bike is pretty much the best powervalve system as far as service intervals. It is a simple pivot system which takes alot of build up to foul it.

Again, use a good synthetic premix oil & those powervalves will work fine for a very long time.

• Like 2

It's a good question you ask however the manufacturers do you go a little bit overboard on maintenance especially in the power valve area. If you run synthetic oil in your fuel there will be very little build up as long as you open the throttle up and don't ride like a post man you will be fine .

• Like 1

my 02 still running crisp after 35hrs on rebuild , synth oil is key, but yes cylinder has to be removed, rc valve is very simple, no gears or timing

To answer your question about cleaning it - you have to remove the cylinder, remove the shaft from the left side and the 2 flaps will come out the exhaust ports. When you do it use the fresh scent easy off oven cleaner.