Sign in to follow this  

Yz125 Clutch Wont Engage

Swapped out the lower end on 1995 yz125. Attached the clutch cable and the clutch wouldnt go into neutral. I took it apart and found that the basket was damaged so i put in my hinson clutch. The bike still wont go into neutral when i squeeze the clutch handle. Are the springs to tight? And ideas?

Do you have everything installed correctly? Is there resistance at the lever when you pull?

So i took it apart again, everything is there in the proper place. There is good resistance when i pull, maybe my idea of clutch neutral is different than when the bike is in shifted neutral. This is my first bike so i dont have much to go on from.

With the lever pulled it still turns over the engine a little bit but not as much if the lever wasn't pulled.

With the lever pulled it still turns over the engine a little bit but not as much if the lever wasn't pulled.

Bike off, transmission in neutral, start bike.

Pull in clutch, drop into first, does bike stall?

NO but it wants to lunge/pull forward:

Adjust cable tighter.

Cable out at max and still does it:

Adjust lever off clutch cover forward once cable is retracted to shortest setting.

YES bike dies immediately:

Adjust cable tighter. See above, simple system, especially if you replaced the clutch pack.

Oh, if you did.... DID YOU SOAK THE NEW FIBERS?

Edited by PALMER84ONE

Yes the plates where oily before the went into the bike. Issue is bike wont start after i rebuilt it

Clutch pulled in gear will always have more resistance than in N, especially when cold.

• Like 1

Yes the plates where oily before the went into the bike. Issue is bike wont start after i rebuilt it

Then it sounds like you have bigger issues than the clutch.

Please expand on rebuilt and starting issues so we can fix that first.

YES, the clutch will drag in gear with it completely pulled in. 

I believe the clutch now works, before it didn't at all. Ive just ordered a new coil for the bike, and im going to try bump starting it tommorow.

Update: Bump starting didn't work. And bike is turning the crank even when i pull the clutch in, i have to shift into neutral to move the bike.

• Like 1

Update: Bump starting didn't work. And bike is turning the crank even when i pull the clutch in, i have to shift into neutral to move the bike.

So do I and my bikes run and shift.

Edited by PALMER84ONE

So do I and my bikes run and shift.

The last time I rode a bike i thought when you pulled the clutch the bike would feel like its in neutral, but it doesn't it feels like its in gear.

The last time I rode a bike i thought when you pulled the clutch the bike would feel like its in neutral, but it doesn't it feels like its in gear.

2 Strokes drag mor than 4 when not running in gear. constent mesh transmission, no syncro. 

Edited by PALMER84ONE
  • Like 1

Thanks guys i guess that answers my question with the clutch. Now the issue is getting the bike to start, gonna see what happens when I install the new coil when it comes in the next week or two.

Thanks guys i guess that answers my question with the clutch. Now the issue is getting the bike to start, gonna see what happens when I install the new coil when it comes in the next week or two.

Are you sure it's the coil? 

Have you changed the plug?

I have bought "brand new" off the shelf DEAD plugs. 

Are you sure it's the coil?

Have you changed the plug?

I have bought "brand new" off the shelf DEAD plugs.

I have tried the old plug that was working when the bike originally blew up and i also bought a new one. I have a electronic spark tester and it doesn't always light up consistently when i crank it. The coil was tested with a ohm meter and it seemed to be out of spec.
  • Like 1