Sign in to follow this  

JD jet kit in a 430?

I put a jd jet kit in my 450x and it really woke it up. Curious what it does on a 430?

I have a 2015 430 rr that runs great and I don't really have anything to complain about with the motor, but wonder if it can get better with a jd jet kit. Any experience?

I've used his jets/needles for years also on a few bikes.

I decided last year after putting 800 miles on my Beta 450 to try his kit, Now with another 800 miles on his kit I really like it. It smoothed out the bottom-end, runs much better on the choke and basically makes the motor run more linear in its power. Also fuel economy improved.  

Cheap $$ to try, made my 450 much better...

The only thing in the kit is his special 'long taper' needle.

Everything else is just standard Keihin jets.

I find both his needles to be too rich on the partial throttle and to lean on the open throttle.

That's why Keihin doesn't make a needle like that.

Do you know what needle you have now?

Are you running the stock exhaust?

Is your map stock?

Are you running lean or rich?

Bike is currently all stock. I have never pulled plug to check if it is rich or lean.

I put a jd jet kit in my 450x and it really woke it up. Curious what it does on a 430?

I have a 2015 430 rr that runs great and I don't really have anything to complain about with the motor, but wonder if it can get better with a jd jet kit. Any experience?

Betaguy, I had a 2006 CRFX that had a FMF pipe, hot cams, and a few other things. I have a 2012 450RR that I bought used. First thing I did was add a JD jetting kit to it. I only ran it once before but the jetting helped it run smoother, added lower end torque, and easier starting. Compared to the X the power is just more predictable and constant. People use the word linear on the Betas and that is what the jetting kit seemed to even make more so. There just seems to be power as soon as you crack the throttle. 

JD kits are the best bang for the buck if you want ease of tuning with a bike specific chart. I still have a few of his needles laying around from past bikes. I've had the same experience as Bill "Krannie" being rich on the bottom and too lean on top. At least when using the blue needle. Red needle is better for small throttle openings as it's a bit larger in the taper. 

JD kits are the best bang for the buck if you want ease of tuning with a bike specific chart. I still have a few of his needles laying around from past bikes. I've had the same experience as Bill "Krannie" being rich on the bottom and too lean on top. At least when using the blue needle. Red needle is better for small throttle openings as it's a bit larger in the taper. 

I agree with this.  The JD red needle has worked very well in my RFS engined bikes.  I could never get rid of a low rpm off idle rich 'hesitation' when using the blue needle.

Edited by Chas_M

His Long-Taper needle in conjunction with the brass he suggests and includes either works great, or not so good at all. His design of needle with suggested and supplied brass makes a simple nice combination for many motors. Per his suggestion I leaned out some aspects of existing OEM jetting, and replaced with his suggestion supplied jets, and of course his needle at his recommended position, granted only a base line, but one that work a crap load better than the OEM jetting/needle.

The OEM 2014 450 Beta needle was super lean off the bottom to mid, so the factory made up for it by much richer jets, kinda wonky idea IMHO :goofy:  

My track record with JD jetting, more accurately his needle;

2008 530 KTM = success

2009 450 KTM = success

2009 450X Honda (race motor) = fail

2014 Beta 450RS = success

Oh, a bunch of FCR's on multiple Japanese multis in AMA racing back in the nineties 

Edited by MarkBevans
  • Like 1

Chris. Tapers are the same on red and blue. Only straight section diameter is different,red being thicker/leaner at small throttle openings. I lump JD needles for the Beta in the same category as aftermarket pipes or coffee can exhaust tips on  honda civics. Little or possibly worse performance for your expenditure. 

Most guys who buy them just install them at the recommended starting point  without ever experimenting further and claim tuning nirvana. AKA psychosomatic gains. Not saying its the case here but in many incidences that would certainly be so.

Edited by widebear