Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket Change

I'm currently running the stock sprockets on my 2007 CRF250X (14/53) and am about to experiment with a 13 tooth CS. I have a 116 link chain and my axle blocks are at the fourth notch from the front. Question is, when I change the CS from 14 to 13, I'll obviously need to move the wheel back to take out the slack, but I'm wondering if I should instead remove a link from the chain. I ride mostly single track, so cornering and maneuverability are more critical than straight line stability. Comments?

If you're only experimenting with the 13t and there's enough chain adjustment to run it I'd leave it as is for now.  If you decide to stay with the 13t then cut out a link. 

I'll be experimenting with a 12 as well. My main question was in general, when dropping teeth in the front, does it make make more sense to remove links or move the wheel back for a trail rider. Sounds like the answer is remove links. I agree I should determine what spocket combo I want first though, then remove links.

you'll move it back 5/16" if wanted to see the diff with a tape measure 1st, but like mentioned it'll work fine.   13/51 is what I finally settled on, YMMV

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say in your post.

Edited by mossman77

For every tooth you drop on the front you'll move the rear axle back aprox 5/16".   If you run out of adjustment you'll need to take 2 links out of the chain ( you cannot remove just 1).     12t greatly accelerates wear on the chain, wouldn't go there.  13/53 is way plenty low gearing for anything.

Not sure if any of this will help the OP but....

IMO you basically want to keep the rear axle block marks about in the middle of the marks on the rear swing arm.

On my crf250R I run 13/51 for a good compromise of torque/top speed and when I do replace I normally do both sprockets and the chain at the same time and remove links as required.

Just MO but I get longer life out of the drive train when I do the above.

• Like 1

I'll likely adjust things so the axle is more or less centered, as it is now. The sprockets and chain are only a few months old, but I decided to stick with the stock 14/53. I haven't put many hours on the bike since, so changing just the CS shouldn't be a problem.

I am considering dropping a tooth on the countershaft sprocket of my 1985 Yamaha IT200. OEM is 12/44. But I'm looking to add some low-end benefits for single-track northeast woods riding and possible vintage racing. 

My question is whether or not dropping a tooth up front will create an increased risk in a "chain through the case" scenario??? I understand that dropping will increase the wear on the sprocket, but is there any added risk? The bike is pre-chainguard era, so there is no case protection from a slipped/broken chain.

I've heard conflicted opinions so...  :prof: