Sign in to follow this  

1996 XR250L Decompression Lever

I just bought a 1996 XR250L and its in really good shape. Usually I end up with a project but I paid a little more and got something ready to ride. It has a decompression lever that's automatic with the kick starter but it's not functioning, I was told because it's not hooked up to the actual kick starter which looks to be the case. I'm not sure why it was taken off but I'd like to hook it back up due to me using this bike off road. I'd hate to take a fall and have trouble out on the trail starting it. What are the adjustments for this and how do I make sure I won't hurt the engine? Thank you

Everything looks to be there, the cable just isn't hooked up to the lower connection point near the kickstart. The owner said he didn't want to hook it up because he was afraid to adjust it and mess up the engine.

How do you adjust the valves on these engines? I see that's necessary to do before the decompression lever adjustment

Use the forums search function. Lots of discussion there. Also look for Youtube videos.  This is a good one showing how to make sure the rockers have wiggle to be sure you have the engine set up at TDC on the compression stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AByg2Wr13Vc.

In the video, his right exhaust had no wiggle. Most likely his auto decomp mechanism on the cam was engaged, so he turned the crank 1 more rev CCW and back to TDC.

These are for XR250 R but I would think should be the same for your L.

xr250 decomp.JPG

xr250 valves.JPG

xr250 valves 2.JPG

Edited by Trailryder42