Sign in to follow this  

Starts.. Idles.. dies.

This machine has left me with quite a headache.

Ive got a 2011 DRZ400sm

Bike was running fine, rode it home, parked it in the garage, then sat there 4 or 5 days due to inclement weather.

went to start it up after the storm but wouldnt turn over. seemed like just a battery issue being that it was still cranking just sounded slower then the norm. Thought no biggie, connected the charger, went to work, and left it on for another day.

Came back the next day with a fully charged battery but still no luck starting... spark plug? 

pulled the plug checked the spark and everything checked out. Bought a new plug for the hell of it and replaced it anyway...

before screwing the new plug in I dumped a cap full of oil in the cylinder cavity, crossing my fingers i wouldnt find a compression issue. screwed the plug in and tried turning it over and it started almost immediatly spuing white smoke at a high rpm. as the white smoke slowly got thinner and thinner from the exhaust i could hear the rpms dying down until the white smoke stopped (burning off all the oil), followed by the engine dying. i did this compression test 2 more times each time with the same result.  At this point I was begining to think that it might be a compression problem..

Desperate not to believe compression, I checked the carb. pulled the carb out and disected the thing. jets were clear and float was in prestine condition with no cracks. soaked the carb in a carb chem dip for 30 minutes to be sure the thing got a good bath. blasted it with carb cleaner after the fact, reassembled and put back on the bike. 

after the work done to the carb and it plugged back into the bike, it starts and idles for up to 4 minutes then eventually dies. If i try to start it immediatly after it dies it will refuse to turn over and sometime backfires. I let it sit for another 5 minutes and it will start up again.. only to eventually die again.

Is there anything else that can be checked before i start going internal on this thing? anybody have any similiar issues? havent done anything with the oil breather box but understand some have had issues with it. Could there be a problem with the breather box or the oil circulation system somehow?

I feel like ive checked everything including down to diods and ohms in the electrical system and they check out aswell. 

Lemme know what you guys think.

MAHALOS

Posted Today, 04:56 PM

This machine has left me with quite a headache.

Ive got a 2011 DRZ400sm

Bike was running fine, rode it home, parked it in the garage, then sat there 4 or 5 days due to inclement weather.

went to start it up after the storm but wouldnt turn over. seemed like just a battery issue being that it was still cranking just sounded slower then the norm. Thought no biggie, connected the charger, went to work, and left it on for another day.

Came back the next day with a fully charged battery but still no luck starting... spark plug? 

pulled the plug checked the spark and everything checked out. Bought a new plug for the hell of it and replaced it anyway...

before screwing the new plug in I dumped a cap full of oil in the cylinder cavity, crossing my fingers i wouldnt find a compression issue. screwed the plug in and tried turning it over and it started almost immediatly spuing white smoke at a high rpm. as the white smoke slowly got thinner and thinner from the exhaust i could hear the rpms dying down until the white smoke stopped (burning off all the oil), followed by the engine dying. i did this compression test 2 more times each time with the same result.  At this point I was begining to think that it might be a compression problem..

Desperate not to believe compression, I checked the carb. pulled the carb out and disected the thing. jets were clear and float was in prestine condition with no cracks. soaked the carb in a carb chem dip for 30 minutes to be sure the thing got a good bath. blasted it with carb cleaner after the fact, reassembled and put back on the bike. 

after the work done to the carb and it plugged back into the bike, it starts and idles for up to 4 minutes then eventually dies. If i try to start it immediatly after it dies it will refuse to turn over and sometime backfires. I let it sit for another 5 minutes and it will start up again.. only to eventually die again.

Is there anything else that can be checked before i start going internal on this thing? anybody have any similiar issues? havent done anything with the oil breather box but understand some have had issues with it. Could there be a problem with the breather box or the oil circulation system somehow?

I feel like ive checked everything including down to diods and ohms in the electrical system and they check out aswell. 

Lemme know what you guys think.

MAHALOS

To be sure it's not a fuel starvation issue, make sure your petcock is working properly, removing it from the gas tank and cleaning the 2 filters that sit inside the tank is a good start

• Like 1

I would ask if your idle is set high enough. (1650-1800 rpm at idle) If you let it set there idling for 4 minutes and restart and the same happens it is also probably overheating.

With any kind of petcock trouble could have gas in oil. You say carb is clean and good to go. When you soaked it were you sure all rubber parts were removed? Float needle seat has an o-ring that could be damaged by carb cleaner or the soak. Seat must be removed to ensure chems don't affect the rubber.

Pouring oil into the cylinder may oil things up briefly but, will also leave a coating of fuel residue and burnt oil in the combustion chamber and on valves and exhaust ports etc. Gets baked on and has a hard time clearing on its own. 

• Like 1