Sign in to follow this  

Putting cr85 forks onto a crf230f?

I own a 2014 crf230f and I plan on customising it. I'm getting 2015 plastics to fit on it, new graphics, and a new fmf pipe for it. I'd love to get new forks as I don't really like the look of the stock forks. I read on these forums and found that cr85 forks can fit on a crf230f. I was thinking of getting some of the newest model forks (2004 or 2005). I assume that it will be the big wheel version of the cr85 who's forks will fit on the crf230. The seat height between these two bikes are 2mm, and the seat height difference between the original cr85 is about 2 inches. I'm not very experienced with this kind of stuff so if anybody could walk me through the process of buying, changing, and riding with, these custom forks. Or is there any other forks that will make a good fit? Thanks

They are not bolt on. Many people on the forum would recommend that you get your forks re valved by Bruce Triplett, but since you want the looks of the inverted forks you will need to change your triple clamps for inverted forks. Also you front wheel wouldn't fit. That's all I know. Maybe if you mount fork guards low on the forks it will give the inverted forks look you are looking for.  :goofy:

Edited by Q47

They are not bolt on. Many people on the forum would recommend that you get your forks re valved by Bruce Triplett, but since you want the looks of the inverted forks you will need to change your triple clamps for inverted forks. Also you front wheel wouldn't fit. That's all I know. Maybe if you mount fork guards low on the forks it will give the inverted forks look you are looking for.  :goofy:

There's more to it than that.  Add about $300 in machining, axle, and brake adapter.  Then you need stronger springs.

There's more to it than that.  Add about $300 in machining, axle, and brake adapter.  Then you need stronger springs.

Seems like a lot for a fashion statement.

• Like 1

If it's simply for looks what's next, you'll want to install fake radiators and hoses...?!?

Ride your bike as-is for a while, maybe go with stiffer springs or raise the oil level if you need the forks to be a bit firmer.

If you realize that the suspension or engine is holding you back from jumping / going faster

or progressing in your riding skils, sell the 230F and buy a CRF150RB.

(pending your height warrants about the same seat height bike)

You'll very likely never recouperate the cost of any mods done to your 230F when selling it,

and most people in the market for that type of bike rather look into finding a completely stock / un-molested one.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

If it's simply for looks what's next, you'll want to install fake radiators and hoses...?!?

Ride your bike as-is for a while, maybe go with stiffer springs or raise the oil level if you need the forks to be a bit stiffer.

If you realize that the suspension or engine is holding you back from jumping / going faster

or progressing in your riding skils, sell the 230F and buy a CRF150RB.

(pending your height warrants about the same seat height bike)

You'll likely never recouperate the cost of any mods done to your 230F when selling it,

and most people in the market for that type of bike rather look into finding a completely stock / un-molested one.

He has a 2014 and he gets a 2015 plastics and graphics. He doesn't like the 'looks' of his forks. It's obvious what he is concerned about. Whatever tickles his pickle, it's his money, but I can't help not saying how much of a poser he is.

I'd appreciate not getting hate comments from 99% of you. I don't like the look of the forks, so what? I can't believe you are jumping straight to conclusions. I asked if they fit and how can I fit them, if you can't help me with that, then leave this post instead of leave your irrelevant comments. Thanks to the first poster for actually adding something helpful, though.

• Like 3

bdewar ..

Do not worry about that kind of comments ..

I did CRF150R forks mod on my 05 'crf230. (CRF150 springs are better suited to crf230 ..) vote mod 10.. not for its beauty only.. is a major advantage on guide

1450449338278.jpg

Edited by Cross player
  • Like 1

Here's how I installed CR85R forks on my bike:

http://rickramsey.net/CRF230Fmods.htm#cr85rforks

They work a treat.

Scroll down 2 panels and see how I installed CRF150R forks on my second bike:

http://rickramsey.net/CRF230Fmods.htm#crf150rforks

I did more of the work myself and it was cheaper as a result.  Plus, the 150R forks are better suited for the 230F because they are set up stock for a slightly heavier bike.

Both versions allow you to keep your stock front wheel.

Reger is out of business so you'll have a problem finding a brake adapter mount required by both conversions.  I have a spare that could be used by a machinist as a model to make copies, but that's likely to cost upwards of $1,000.  You'd be set to sell to other riders...

But be aware, there are at least a half dozen other fork-replacement projects documented on TT that are cheaper (alas, they require more research).  And they don't need the Reger adapter mount. Search and ye shall find.

:ride:

bdewar ..

I did CRF150R forks mod on my 05 'crf230. (CRF150 springs are better suited to crf230 ..) vote mod 10.. not for its beauty only.. is a major advantage on guide

Thanks Cross player! Would crf150RB forks be a better fit since that is a larger bike or will the 150R be fine? I looked at the crf150r forks and fitting them onto a 230 but couldn't find much info. Thankyou very much, I will look at those links. Your bike looks great! Are these forks good to ride with?

• Like 1

forks good to ride ..

I think CRF150R forks .. A or B .. should be ok .. However, it is appropriate to customize the spring hardness

Could you give me a list of other parts I will need? Sorry to be bugging you about it, I don't know much about suspension etc.

Could you give me a list of other parts I will need? Sorry to be bugging you about it, I don't know much about suspension etc.

Post #9 has some links to good info... :banghead:

• Like 1

Bdewar..

So .. here explain to me .. not easy because English is not my language. The most important job is to extract the steering tube (see pictures) .. and change its head (bottom without touching the thread) to have the same crf230 steering tube length.

Then you have to use an adapter to use the CRF 230 brake caliper.. And wheel.

CRF150 wheel axle will be ok if its spacers are sized to bring the wheel to the fork center.

1450452681610.jpg

• Like 1

Post #9 has some links to good info... :banghead:

Thanks ramz for the info 🙂 I tried to find the reger engineering site for the forks but I can't find it anywhere

• Like 1

I use 03 cr85 fork,You need mods to fit it.You will also need rear shock,as rear shock is real bad.The Cr85 stock valving is perfect stock.You will need .38 or .40 springs.Two ways to do axel,to mount your 21in/230 wheel.Cr 85 axle,reger adapter kit/brake mount kit.Better option.Bore out axel holes(bottom of Cr85 fork) use Crf150 Axel.You dont need,bore out holes on CRF150r fork,already has that axle.Only thing with CrF150R forks,most of the time they cost more money then Cr85 fork.This is expensive mod,worth every penny.It will rise up front of bike about 1in,When using Fox/Or 86/95 Xr250r shock Back end wil also be up one inch more.If you dont mod rear susp of bike,waist of money.Also if you ride alot,seal savers,and custom plastic guards.That wrap around back side of forks.or you will blow seals Don't listen to guys about resale value.Who gives a shit,your riding it,having fun.

• Like 3

Dealing with Reger Industries.Email them,call them you not get answer.Keep trying,I left my credit card number on there phone(last resort) parts came week later.Get Cannon Springs.What weight are you.

• Like 2

Thanks Cross player! Would crf150RB forks be a better fit since that is a larger bike or will the 150R be fine? I looked at the crf150r forks and fitting them onto a 230 but couldn't find much info. Thankyou very much, I will look at those links. Your bike looks great! Are these forks good to ride with?

The Showa USD forks used on the CR80/85 and CRF150R are all the same fork as far as fitting issues to the 150F/230F.

Damper parts and springs were unique to each application, some anodize color differences,

and the CR axle is 12mm, the CRF150R axle is 15mm.

All use the same front hub with bearings to suit the axle.

The lug on the bottom of the fork legs are the same, just different size axle holes.

As stated there are a lot of threads for using Showa 37mm forks, I put a set on a XR200R and posted the project. Problems; steering stem, brake mount, and 21" rim. 

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

bdewar ..

Cross Player your bike looks good.I used late Xr250s disk brake rear.What did you use,or came that way.

Thanks ramz for the info 🙂 I tried to find the reger engineering site for the forks but I can't find it anywhere

As far as Cr150/ Cr85 fork,you will need to change fork spring either fork.As far as Comp stack,Im 165,stock cr85 comp/rebound is set on softest potions.With 2 1/2wt fork oil.If your heave weight,then crf150 comp stack would be better.One tester 220 pounds rode my bike loved it.As far as Reger still in business.One month ago,buddy got brake Adapter from them.There is also another company that sells brake adapter.If you decide on this mod,members. Can guild,on each step.Ramz did the best write up,many thanks to him.