Sign in to follow this  

What to practice

I have been riding dirtbikes for about a year now and I want to get better. Last week I started riding every day for two hours. I have been riding around my yard (about 2 acres of land) and was wondering what to practice to make me a better trail and track rider. Thanks.

Standing up, get up on the tank in turns, clutch control, throttle control, looking ahead.The list goes on I'll let some other guys add to the list...Figure 8s will help with balance

• Like 2

I've heard not long ago that a good routine would include practice falling off.

Edited by L. Euler
  • Like 6

Practicing slow riding, slow wheelies, stoppies, rear brake slides will all improve your skills. When i was on land, i set up a little course with logs and tires i had to jump over. Damn, i miss having my own property to ride on. 

Find faster guys (that aren't dicks) to ride with. They will push you outside your comfort zone in turn making you a better rider...

And then you wreck and end up in the hospital.  😢   At least that's what happened to me a couple times riding high speed trails with my marginally insane twenty something sons. 🤦   But, I do have to say, you are right, I am a much faster rider than I was a few years ago (when I stay on the bike, that is :crazy: )

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

And then you wreck and end up in the hospital. 😢 At least that's what happened to me a couple times riding high speed trails with my marginally insane twenty something sons. 🤦 But, I do have to say, you are right, I am a much faster rider than I was a few years ago (when I stay on the bike, that is :crazy: )

"dicks!“ lol

• Like 2

"dicks!“ lol

Oh, they are always very nice to me when I am laying on the ground.  My youngest son even complimented me one time last summer, he said the endo I did was the most spectacular endo he had ever seen. 🤦🤣

Find faster guys (that aren't dicks) to ride with. They will push you outside your comfort zone in turn making you a better rider...

YOU ABUSE ME MENTALLY.

One of my best riding buddies hadn't really ridden dirtbikes much until a couple of years ago. Anyway, the first ride I took him on was one of the most technical routes in the area. He struggled at first, but didn't bitch, and quickly picked up the skills and speed to hang with our group. Now he's one of the fast guys in our group and always down for rides that most sane riders won't go on.  😏

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 1

Do stuff you find difficult and slightly scary.  Then do it a bunch of times till it isn't so difficult or scary.  Baby steps.

One of my best riding buddies hadn't really ridden dirtbikes much until a couple of years ago. Anyway, the first ride I took him on was one of the most technical routes in the area. He struggled at first, but didn't bitch, and quickly picked up the skills and speed to hang with our group. Now he's one of the fast guys in our group and always down for rides that most sane riders won't go on. 😏

My lady got me into riding the same way. I returned the favor on the mountain bike [emoji41]

My skills are improving every ride thanks to her tough love ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451967943.027602.jpg

• Like 1