Sign in to follow this  

Beta? KTM? Hasq? What else?

Hello,

I am in the market for a new bike. Here are my criteria.

1- Street legal or easily palatable < I don't have a trailer or an SUV, 90% of the trails around me are 20-50 miles away.

2- 30 hp or more < I like power, more is better. Not even a cr500 phases me. All 250 4 strokes are not enough.

3- 250 lb or less < I like it light for technical stuff and handling. DRZ400 XR650 DR650 and all those heavy bikes out of the question

4- 36" or less seat height < I am 5'7", If it's higher than 36" I really struggle. Can't be taller than that.

5- Can handle 15-30 minutes trips at 60 mph between trails. < Can a 2 stroke do that? Is the 'They can't handle constant speed' a myth?

6- Prefer 2 stroke but a 4 stroke is not out of the question. I like both, but 2 strokes are generally cheaper and simpler.

I am handy with my tools so high maintenance is not a problem.

Bikes that I am considering:

Beta XTrainer 300

Edited by Q47

I recently got a '15 beta 430rr. I'm in nj and was able to plate it. I'm usually a 2t guy but the beta is very deceiving. The weight difference from my 2t's is definitely there but doesn't feel heavier when riding. I tend to ride a variety of terrain but mostly tight single and she lugs though anything and with the flick of wrist there's plenty of power

Personally I think you criteria effectively rules out every bike in existence.  Honestly if you want a bike that is reasonably light, powerful, can do 50 miles highway trips at 60+ MPH and then ride the dirt effectively that screams KTM 500 EXC.  But that seat isn't going to be 36".  It's 38.2".   I'm 5'8" and my KTM 350 XCF-W has the same seat height.  It was pretty daunting at first but I'm getting used to it. 

They do make a lower seat for it and I know you can have the bike lowered (at the expense of losing some suspension performance).  

• Like 1

KTM 500 4 stroke. Wr450f?

Great bikes. I am short. 5'7". How much can they be lowered by shaving the seat? 36" is my absolute limit.

Great bikes. I am short. 5'7". How much can they be lowered by shaving the seat? 36" is my absolute limit.

I have a friend who has a yz 125. She's 5'5 and that bike is 37 inches she got it down to 33 inches. Then again she's like 110 pounds and can barely handle the 125.. She won't even attempt to ride my 250f hahaha. But yeah they shaved it until there wasn't much more than 2 inches of padding.

I'm 5'11. So I never have problems. I got my first 250f which was like 37.5 inches seat height when I was 5'4. Albeit I was not a very good rider back then but I've grown several Inches and bikes feel big anyways to me haha. Good luck finding one !

I'll wait for them to invent good a prosthetic legs. On 37" my feet just dangle off the side of the bike, can't hop on the bike without kick stand.

I have a friend who has a yz 125. She's 5'5 and that bike is 37 inches she got it down to 33 inches. Then again she's like 110 pounds and can barely handle the 125.. She won't even attempt to ride my 250f hahaha. But yeah they shaved it until there wasn't much more than 2 inches of padding.

4 inches just by shaving the seat? Or lowering links too? I don't like lowering links. 

2 strokes can be road ridden bur few are willing to deal with them. Fuel use for a dual sport is an issue. I ran 4+ gallons on my 380 two stroke. Still had to refill for a longer ride.

I'm not big and hate the size of the KTMS now. Betas supposed to be smaller

Consider putting a hitch hauler on your car and buying a unplated bike. I ran a dual sport for a long time. Tires are always worn. Pavement is so boring. Fuel carrying issues. Tons more mechanical wear.

• Like 1

Hello,

1- Street legal or easily palatable < I don't have a trailer or an SUV, 90% of the trails around me are 20-50 miles away.

2- 30 hp or more < I like power, more is better. Not even a cr500 phases me. All 250 4 strokes are not enough.

3- 250 lb or less < I like it light for technical stuff and handling. DRZ400 XR650 DR650 and all those heavy bikes out of the question

4- 36" or less seat height < I am 5'7", If it's higher than 36" I really struggle. Can't be taller than that.

5- Can handle 15-30 minutes trips at 60 mph between trails. < Can a 2 stroke do that? Is the 'They can't handle constant speed' a myth?

6- Prefer 2 stroke but a 4 stroke is not out of the question. I like both, but 2 strokes are generally cheaper and simpler.

Beta XTrainer 300

Beta 300rr, best motor and lowest seat height.

Can you street plate dirt bikes in your state?  The Beta 300RR is really a great bike.  Note that the '16 300RR has oil injection plus it comes equipped with a functional high/low beam headlight, rear running & brake lights, horn, plug-ins for turn signals and DOT Michelin knobbies.

• Like 1

Hello,

3- 250 lb or less < I like it light for technical stuff and handling. DRZ400 XR650 DR650 and all those heavy bikes out of the question

5- Can handle 15-30 minutes trips at 60 mph between trails. < Can a 2 stroke do that? Is the 'They can't handle constant speed' a myth?

Beta XTrainer 300

KTM XCFW 350  You many want to buy a larger tank for those 15-30 minute trips between trails or carry a couple of Gatorade bottles full of gas.  I can ride about 70 miles with the stock tank at Taneum or Tahuya.

• Like 1