Sign in to follow this  

Water Pump Won't Sit Right After Changing Inner Clutch Cover. (13' 150 sx)

Just as the title says, I have a 2013 ktm 150. I changed the inner clutch cover dude to an oil leak in the inner clutch cover. When I was trying to put it back on, it is stopped by the water pump. It's like it doesn't even fit. However, I know it should all fit. I feel as thought I am missing a step, is there special procedure once the water pump and gear comes off, is there a special way to make sure they go back together snug?

I ended getting it close, so I tried tightening everything down, but then there was a leak that was right behind the water pump, meaning it didn't sit right and that it was forced so I took it back apart. Let me know guys!

Hi this should be a straightforward job. Could I suggest the o ring between the front of the waterpump housing and the right crankcase has moved slightly. You can put a bit of grease on it to hold it in place. Once you swivel the cover to get the pv arm up through it should then just sit on the 2 pegs and slide up tight. You sometimes have to use a small screwdriver to get the gears to mesh (sometimes you don't) and give the bottom of the gasket a push up before you torque up the clutch cover bolts - it sometimes sags!. Don't try and force the clutch cover on. Bob.

First, thanks for the reply! I appreciate your time however I might not have been clear but Its not the water pump cover but the actual water pump shaft that isn't allowing the inner clutch cover to sit right. This might help. O ring you are talking about I believe sits fine. Maybe I just am not understanding. Alex

Hi, if you've not had the water pump apart it has to fit back. Take it you have the water pump cover off and remounted the impeller correctly so it snugs up against the big o ring. I had my clutch cover off several times recently and the water pump out (well falls out) as I had a problem with the pv timer and it went together fine as long as you mount the impeller and big o ring correctly. Have another look at how you have it mounted in the clutch cover. Bob.

Hey Bob so I figured it out, embarrassingly enough I was mounting the water pump wrong. Figured that out, now my problem is that the inner clutch cover is leaking all along the bottom when putting it back on. Really along the bolts. It looks like it is seated right when I place it together, but when it is tightened down and oil is put in, it leaks within a couple hours. Could it be the pv timer?